The minivan is not the walking dead, stumbling around mindlessly and hoping to sink its teeth into buyers as they flock in every direction to other types of family rides. And the good news for deal-makers is that discounts are commonplace on vehicles that do everyday suburban chores better and more economically than any other type of ride.
Ford Motor, for instance, is just now launching its "unminivan," the Transit Connect Wagon. With a $2,125 Employee Pricing discount that can be combined with a factory incentive, this all-new people hauler is worth a look. Ford and other car makers may not necessarily like the pedestrian image a minivan projects, but any person with kids knows that a minivan is the most sensible solution for everyday chores.
Or take Kia Motors. In April, Kia showed the next-generation Sedona, calling it a “multipurpose vehicle.” The current and outgoing Sedona is a deal until the new one gets here: a $5,000 factory discount available with 3.5 per cent financing for up to 84 months on cash purchases. The Sedona may not be sexy, but in the mid-$20,000s and nicely loaded, it’s affordable.
Of course, Chrysler Canada has long put a premium on discounting the Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country. Buyers can find a decently loaded Grand Caravan for less than $20,000. No wonder the Grand is the best-selling minivan in history.
How long that deal will remain, however, is a mystery. Chrysler has said it’s dropping the Grand Caravan. At present it appears only the Chrysler brand will have a minivan in its lineup. At present.
There is reason to suspect that at least in Canada, Chrysler might have more minivan news to come. What’s certain is that the bargain basement Grand Caravan of today will go away in 2016.
As for other bargains, Deals spotted total discounts that could reach $4,000 on the sporty Hyundai Veloster and at Infiniti, the new-ish Q50 is on offer with nearly $5,500 in combined discounts for the right shopper.
Deals of the Week consulted with unhaggle.com, Car Help Canada, carcostcanada.com, and other sources on these offers. As usual, pricing information here is subject to change and dealer discounts vary, so consult your dealer for the final details, including expiry dates for all offers.
2014 Kia Sedona
- MSRP: $28,695
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,765
- Dealer discount (estimated): $500
- Factory discount: $5,000 (manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $24,960
- Total price with 13% HST: $28,204.80
- Manufacturer incentive available with 3.5% financing for up to 84 months or cash purchases
2014 Ford Transit Connect XL wagon
- MSRP: $27,374
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,750
- Employee Pricing discount: $2, 125
- Factory discount: $1,000 (manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $25,999
- Total price with 13% HST: $29,378.87
- The manufacturer incentive available with 5.59% financing for 36-60 months
2014 Hyundai Veloster 3 door Coupe Auto Turbo
- MSRP: $26,695
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,800
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,300
- Factory discount: $2,500 (manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $24,695
- Total price with 13% HST: $27,905.35
- The manufacturer incentive can be combined with 2.99% financing for 48, 60 or 84 months or a 3.99% lease rate for 48 or 60 months.
2014 Infiniti Q50 4 door Sedan Sport AWD
- MSRP: $47,450
- Freight, PDI, AC tax: $2,130
- Dealer discount (estimated): $3,200
- Factory discount: $2,250 (manufacturer incentive)
- Taxable subtotal: $44,130
- Total price with 13% HST: $49,866.90
- The manufacturer incentive is not available with 0.00% financing for 48 or 60 months.
Pricing information source: unhaggle.com and carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Where noted, “dealer discounts” are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis. Unhaggle Savings are actual discounts received by Unhaggle customers.
If you have questions about driving or car maintenance, please contact our experts at email@example.com.
Follow us on Twitter @Globe_Drive.
Add us to your circles.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter.