GM last week said it had a 139-day supply of the full-sized pickups on Nov. 30, Bloomberg reports. Auto makers generally like to have about 60 days’ worth of supply on dealer lots. So for now there’s a glut of inventory. You should smell a deal.
Here it is: On a 2013 GMC Sierra full-size rig with a sticker price inching towards $50,000, a savvy buyer should be able to string together offers and discounts worth as much as $10,000. That’s amounts to a 20 per cent discount. Not bad at all.
No one can be sure how long the excess inventory will last. GM in the United States has upped its discounting in an effort to clear away the excess stock. But between now and the late summer or early fall of 2013, GM will be trying to balance inventory with demand as it anticipates a factory shutdown to change over to a redesigned 2014 Silverado and Sierra.
The truth is, for pickup buyers it’s a paradise of riches out there. Chrysler Group just launched a new version of the Ram to generally high praise. Meanwhile, Ford has been riding the success of the F-Series. In Canada, F-Series sales have just topped 100,000 for the year and remains Canada’s best-selling vehicle by far. In the U.S., Ford’s pickup is outselling GM’s offering by more than 200,000. Good deals are driving pickup sales in both Canada and the U.S.
Deals of the Week also noticed a pretty rich offer on leftover 2012 Honda Crosstour – what can fairly be described as the station wagon version of the Honda Accord – the old one, not the reinvented 2013 Accord. If you can find a leftover 2012, Honda Canada has as much as $5,500 in cash discounts on the table.
Volvo also has some $2,000 is discounts in play for the right buyer of an XC60 crossover priced at more than $40,000. If your budget it tighter, Jeep’s Compass – the leftover 2012 version – is on offer with some $2,000 or more in rebates. Not bad for a $20,000-something car-based crossover.
As usual, Deals of the Week obtained pricing information from www.carcostcanada.com, among other sources. Consult your dealer for all the details.
2013 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD SLT extended cab
- MSRP: $47,305
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,600
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,500
- Factory discount: $5,750 (Stackable Cash Delivery Allowance factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $40,655
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $45,940.15
- Factory discount: $2,000 (Cash for Clunkers factory-to-customer rebate)
- Final price: $43,940.15
- Can be combined with 0.0 per cent finance rate for up to five years
2012 Honda Crosstour EX-L 4WD
- MSRP: $36,990
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,740
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,200
- Factory discount: $5,000 (Non-stackable Trading Dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $32,530
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $36,758.90
- Factory discount: $500 (Consumer Incentive Dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Final price: $36,258.90
- Applies to cash purchases only
2013 Volvo XC60 3.2 Premier AWD
- MSRP: $43,300
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,195
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,650
- Factory discount: $1,250 (Volvo Conquest Program factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Factory discount: $750 (Volvo Year End Accessory Offer factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $40,845
- Total price with 13 per cent HST:$46,154.85
2012 Jeep Compass North Edition 4WD
- MSRP: $21,295
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,695
- Dealer discount (estimated): $500
- Factory discount: $1,750 (Consumer Cash Discount factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $20,740
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $23,436.20
- Factory discount: $500 (Holiday Bonus Cash factory-to-consumer rebate)
- Final price:$22,936.20
Can be combined with 3.99 per cent finance rates for five years Pricing information source: www.carcostcanada.com . Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time.