As we all know, the biggest new-car expense anyone will ever have is depreciation. So when the Canadian Black Book (CBB) released its recent Best Retained Value Awards, Deals of the Week went looking for award winners that are also heavily discounted.
So this week’s deals come not only with rich sales sweeteners, but all four retained at least half of their value after four years, according to CBB. And the winners are: Toyota Prius hybrid hatchback, Jeep Wrangler SUV, Dodge Challenger muscle coupe and Lexus GS luxury sedan.
The 2009 Prius, the first-ever hybrid to win a Retained Value Award, held 56 per cent of its value after four years. That’s why it bumped aside the previous back-to-back winner, the Volkswagen City Golf.
The Prius is arguably Toyota’s most reliable model, too. Throw in a $1,000 after-tax factory incentive that can be combined with a 0.9 per cent finance rate over three years or a 2.9 per cent lease rate over three, and you’re looking at a spectacular deal. If you find green cars sexy, this package should send your heart pounding and palms sweating.
Those looking for a rugged rig can do much worse than the Jeep Wrangler, which won CBB’s Compact SUV category for the third straight year, holding 61 per cent of its value after four years. The Chrysler Group has lately been saying it can’t build enough Jeeps to meet demand, yet Deals of the Week found a $3,250 factory-do-dealer rebate in play, one that could be combined with 3.99 per cent financing over five years. According to www.carcostcanada.com, this deal was slated to expire April 1, but with new car sales slumping just a little in Canada so far this year, we’d expect this offer or something similar to stick around through at least April.
The same for the Challenger, winner of the Sports Car category for the second year in a row by holding onto whopping 64 per cent of its value after four years. Chrysler Canada put $2,500 on the table for anyone wishing to lease, finance or pay cash for a new Challenger. Like the Jeep deal, the latest offer was slated to end April 1, but we suspect something as good or better remains in play for April. Keep in mind, also, that those who finance can get a 3.99 per cent rate for up to five years.
Finally, the Lexus GS, winner of CBB’s Luxury Car category for retaining 50 per cent of its value after four years. The GS has won this class for three straight years and for good reason. It is highly reliable and generally Lexus Canada does not offer deep discounts. Except now. Lexus has a $2,000 factory-to-dealer offer on the table.
There we have four good offers on rides CBB expects will hold onto their value better than anything else in each of their respective classes. Good deals each one. As usual, pricing information here was supplied by www.carcostcanada.com, among other sources. Consult your dealer for all the details, including expiry dates for all offers.
2013 Toyota Prius
- MSRP: $26,100
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,720
- Dealer discount (estimated): $750
- Taxable subtotal: $27,070
- Total price with 13% HST: $30,589.10
- Factory discount: $1,000 (Stackable Consumer Cash Incentive factory-to-consumer rebate for Plus Package only)
- Final price: $29,589.10
- Can be combined with 0.9% finance rate for three years or 2.99% lease rate for three years
2013 Jeep Sahara 4WD two-door
- MSRP: $31,045
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,695
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,200
- Factory discount: $3,250 (Non-stackable trading dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $28,290
- Total price with 13% HST: $31,967.70
- 3.99% finance rate for five years
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T
- MSRP: $37,745
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,695
- Dealer discount (estimated): $500
- Factory discount: $2,500 (Factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $36,440
- Total price with 13% HST: $41,172.20
- 3.99% finance rate for five years
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD
- MSRP: $54,900
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $2,095
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,500
- Taxable subtotal: $54,495
- Total price with 13% HST: $61,579.35
- Factory discount: $2,000 (Non-stackable trading dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Final price: $59,579.35
Pricing information source: www.carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Dealer discounts are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis.