Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Tony Stewart is introduced before the NASCAR Daytona 500 Sprint Cup series auto race at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla. in this Feb. 23, 2014 file photo. Stewart will return to Sprint Cup competition Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway, ending a three-race hiatus taken after he struck and killed a fellow driver during a dirt-track race. (Terry Renna/AP Photo)
Tony Stewart is introduced before the NASCAR Daytona 500 Sprint Cup series auto race at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla. in this Feb. 23, 2014 file photo. Stewart will return to Sprint Cup competition Sunday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway, ending a three-race hiatus taken after he struck and killed a fellow driver during a dirt-track race. (Terry Renna/AP Photo)

Tony Stewart returns to NASCAR racing after fatal accident Add to ...

NASCAR champion Tony Stewart will return to racing this weekend at the Atlanta Motor Speedway for the first time since he struck and killed a young racer at a dirt track in New York earlier this month, his team said on Thursday

The three-time champion has missed three races since the Aug. 9 accident in which Stewart struck and killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. during a non-NASCAR sprint car race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in upstate New York.

More Related to this Story

The results of the investigation into the crash are pending, but authorities said early in the probe that they had found no evidence of criminal behavior by Stewart.

Stewart, who was grief-stricken by the death, will also make his first appearance before the media on Friday, the Stewart-Haas racing team said in a statement.

In a separate statement, NASCAR said Stewart had “received all necessary clearances required” to return to racing this weekend.

“NASCAR has remained in constant contact with his race team, and we will stay very close to this situation as Stewart returns to competition,” said NASCAR executive vice-president Steve O’Donnell.

Despite being one of auto racing’s top drivers, Stewart would often compete in non-NASCAR races as he did at Canandaigua, a dimly lit track about an hour’s drive west of Syracuse.

Stewart and Ward bumped cars during the race and the collision sent Ward into an outside retaining wall.

During the ensuing caution period, Ward jumped out of his car in an apparent attempt to confront the 43-year-old Stewart, who remained in the race.

When Stewart came around on the next lap, Ward, while in the middle of the track, pointed at Stewart as he came around on the next lap. As Stewart approached Ward, his car appeared to fishtail, striking Ward and throwing him some 50 feet.

Ward was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A week after the accident, NASCAR instituted a rule that makes drivers remain in their cars until a track safety official tells them to exit. If the car is on fire or filled with smoke, drivers can leave their cars immediately.

If you have questions about driving or car maintenance, please contact our experts at globedrive@globeandmail.com.

Like" us on Facebook

Add us to your circles.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Follow us on Twitter: @Globe_Drive

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories