I want to love Toyota’s Prius hybrid ($26,100 base), but not being a taxi driver, I find myself able only to admire this technological masterpiece.
The engineering brilliance of the Prius, however, is one of the many compelling things that come to mind when I scan down Consumer Reports’ Best New Car Value list. The Prius, says CR, is the best overall value you can get for your automotive dollar.
This car is functional, reliable, fuel efficient, clean and costs 47 cents (U.S.) a mile to operate. Peanuts compared to the worst value, the Nissan Armada which at $1.20 (U.S.) a mile is not only less than reliable (according to CR), but also gulps down gas at a ferocious rate.
The point is, the Prius is an exceptional transportation appliance, though not quite as pretty as my Miele Kona vacuum cleaner. Most important here at Deals of the Week, Toyota is still clearing out old 2013 models. If you find one with the Plus Package, Toyota has a $3,000 rebate for you. Sources tell me the $3,000 rebate is there because Toyota Canada priced the Plus Package too high.
Now if you cannot find the richer Prius, there’s a $1,250 rebate in play on the base model. Both are after-tax incentives, so they’re not worth quite as much as a before-tax sweetener, but still… Oh, and both Toyota offers can be combined with 0.0 per cent financing for 48 months, or a 0.90 per cent lease rate for three years. If you want only a sterling value in a family commuter, stop here.
If not, consider what Deals of the Week has uncovered among other models decorating on CR’s Best Value list:
Mid-size car: Subaru Legacy 2.5i. You cannot find a better value in an all-wheel-drive sedan. And with a $2,000 factory rebate on the table, a $24,795 2.5i version is a very, very good buy on a 2014 model.
Luxury car: Lexus ES 300h. The ES hybrid uses basically the same hybrid system in the Prius and that means it’s bullet-proof. This sedan is quiet, smooth and fuel efficient. And leftover 2013s are wearing a $1,500 cash discount. You can combine that sweetener with 1.90 per cent financing over five years, or with a 1.90 per cent lease rate for three years.
Sports cars/convertibles: Mazda MX-5 Miata. Yes, with the frigid winter weather, it’s tough to think about running around in a ragtop. But what a deal we have here. Until February 1, Mazda Canada has slapped on a $6,000 rebate, which takes quite a chunk out of the base price of $29,250.
Wagons/Minivans: Mazda5 Grand Touring. A very nicely done GT lists for $24,805, but then there’s this $3,500 factory rebate in play. If you want a perfectly functional and reasonably entertaining minivan, this is a good buy.
Small SUVs: Subaru Forester 2.5i. Subaru has had a variety of goodies on the table for a while now, and if you work the deals you should be able to slice off at least $1,250 or more from the sticker. But truly, the Legacy is such a good wagon, Subie doesn’t need to slap on big discounts.
Mid-size SUVs: Nissan Murano SL. Once again, look for a leftover 2013. The base S model lists for $34,498 before you negotiate for that $5,000 factory rebate.
Luxury/Large SUVs: BMW X1 xDrive28i. The X1 is a delightful little SUV, but the $500 factory rebate on a 2014 model is not compelling.
Pickups: Honda Ridgeline. A $5,000 factory-to-dealer rebate on 2013 models takes the base price down nicely from $34,990.
Deals of the Week consulted with www.unhaggle.com, www.carcostcanada.com, and other sources on these offers. As usual, pricing information here is subject to change and dealer discounts vary, so consult your dealer for all the final details, including expiry dates for all offers.
2013 Toyota Prius
- MSRP: $26,100
- Freight, dealer prep, air conditioning tax: $1,720
- Dealer discount (estimated): $700
- Taxable subtotal: $27,120
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $30,645.60
- Factory discount: $1,250 (Consumer Cash factory-to-consumer rebate)
- Final price: $29,395.60
- Cash discount available with 0.0 per cent financing for 48 months or 0.90 per cent lease rate for 36 months
2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata GX
- MSRP: $29,250
- Freight, dealer prep and air conditioning tax: $1,795
- Dealer discount (estimated): $2,000
- Factory discount: $6,000 (Mazda Retail Cash factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Factory discount: $1,000 (Mazda Customer Bonus Cash factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Factory discount: $1,000 (Mazda Owner Renewal Program factory-to-consumer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $21,045
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $23,780.85
- $6,000 incentive is available only with a cash purchase. Some offers can be combined with 0.0 per cent financing for up to 84 months.
2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Auto
- MSRP: $24,795
- Freight, dealer prep, AC tax: $1,695
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,000
- Factory discount: $2,000 (Subaru Alternate Cash factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Factory discount: $500 (Subaru Stackable Holiday Cash factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $22,990
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $25,978.70
- $2,000 incentive for cash purchases only, by the Holiday Cash can be combined with 1.90 per cent financing for five years
2013 Nisan Murano S AWD
- MSRP: $34,498
- Freight, PDI, AC tax: $1,850
- Dealer discount (estimated): $1,850
- Factory discount: $5,000 (Nisan Stackable Trading Dollars factory-to-dealer rebate)
- Taxable subtotal: $29,498
- Total price with 13 per cent HST: $33,332.74
- A $4,500 rebate can be combined with 4.95 per cent financing for five years
Pricing information source: www.unhaggle.com and www.carcostcanada.com. Calculations based on Ontario customers. Please note that while the information above is accurate at the time of publication, incentives are given at the discretion of individual dealers, and may be changed or discontinued at any time. Where noted, “dealer discounts” are negotiated with the customer on a case-by-case basis. Unhaggle Savings are actual discounts received by Unhaggle customers.
If you have questions about driving or car maintenance, please contact our experts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Twitter @Globe_Drive.
Add us to your circles.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter.Report Typo/Error