Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Dorel CEO Martin Schwartz said the 130 million people in Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela and Central America are an important emerging consumer base. (CHRISTINNE MUSCHI/REUTERS)
Dorel CEO Martin Schwartz said the 130 million people in Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela and Central America are an important emerging consumer base. (CHRISTINNE MUSCHI/REUTERS)

manufacturing

Dorel buys majority stake in distributors in Colombia and Panama Add to ...

Dorel Industries Inc. said Tuesday that it has signed a deal to buy a majority stake in two distributors of infant and children’s products in Colombia and Central America.

The purchase price was not disclosed for the companies that had $14-million (U.S.) of sales last year.

Dorel will own 70 per cent of Best Brands Group SA in Panama and Baby Universe SAS in Colombia. The remaining 30 per cent will be held by the Sitnisky family and the current owners of the operations.

More Related to this Story

The Sitniskys are Dorel’s minority partner in Chile and Peru where they operate the Infanti brand.

The acquisition is expected to be immediately accretive to Dorel’s earnings.

Dorel CEO Martin Schwartz said the 130 million people in Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela and Central America are an important emerging consumer base.

“This is another concrete step in the implementation of Dorel’s geographic expansion strategy to grow in new markets with good growth potential,” he stated.

“Our Chilean acquisition has been very successful. This move will energize our momentum and accelerate our market share penetration in the near future. It also expands our footprint with the Infanti brand.”

Dorel is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of juvenile products such as infant car seats and bicycles. It also makes ready-to-assemble furniture.

Its brands include Safety 1st, Quinny, Cosco and Maxi-Cosi, while it also sells bikes under the Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose and IronHorse brands.

 
  • DII.A-T
  • DII.B-T
Live Discussion of DII.A on StockTwits
More Discussion on DII.A-T
Live Discussion of DII.B on StockTwits
More Discussion on DII.B-T

Topics:

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories