John DeGoey is vice-president and associate portfolio manager at BBSL. His focus is on personal finance and ETFs.
Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-Canada Index (VXC TSX)
This ETF invests anywhere but in Canada, so it’s a great product for minimizing home bias.
iShares Global Agriculture Index ETF (COW TSX)
Trends don’t get much more long-term than the global demand for food. Population is increasing; farmland is decreasing.
BMO Global Infrastructure Index ETF (ZGI TSX)
Roads, bridges, sewers and the like are crumbling the world over and urgently need to be refurbished.
Past Picks: September 9, 2013
First Trust Senior Loan ETF (CAD-Hedged) (FSL TSX)
Then: $20.03; Now: $20.32 +1.45%; Total return: +4.83%
Vanguard U.S. Total Market Index ETF (VUN TSX)
Then: $24.55; Now: $30.89 +25.82%; Total return: +27.57%
Vanguard FTSE Developed ex North America Index ETF (VDU TSX)
Then: $25.04; Now: $28.66 +14.46%; Total return: +17.41%
Total return average: +16.60%
I reject all forms of prediction-based investing. Instead, I recommend that people use market-based and/or evidence-based products and strategies. People should buy broadly-diversified products that cost little and have low turnover. They should re-balance those periodically when their overall mix is out of line with their original target levels.Report Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter:
- Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap ex Canada Index ETF$29.93+0.05(+0.17%)
- iShares Global Agriculture Index ETF$34.21-0.05(-0.15%)
- BMO Global Infrastructure Index ETF$34.05-0.20(-0.58%)
- First Trust Senior Loan ETF$19.69+0.06(+0.31%)
- Vanguard US Total Market Index ETF$39.42+0.15(+0.38%)
- Vanguard FTSE Developed All Cap Ex US Index ETF$30.15-0.12(-0.40%)
- Updated August 26 3:23 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.