For this week's live discussion at Inside the Market, we went hunting for the best dividend and income-producing opportunities in the resource sector with the help of Craig Porter, senior portfolio manager with Front Street Capital.
More companies are changing their business models to appease investors who are demanding return of capital instead of spending on corporate growth. But it's tricky to find stocks right now that offer sustainable dividends at a time when the commodities sector - including energy and metals - is largely out of favour with investors.
Mr. Porter point some out while providing his outlook for the resource sector.
Mr. Porter has more than 20 years' investment experience. He served as vice president, equities, of Natcan Investment Management Inc., and was also lead portfolio manager of several of the Altamira energy and resources funds. He joined Front Street Capital as portfolio manager in October 2005. He has prime responsibility for various resources mandates for the firm’s individual and institutional clients. He holds a bachelor of arts in commerce and economics from the University of Toronto and is a CFA charterholder.
Some mobile users may find it best to click here for an easier-to-read format.Report Typo/Error
- Barrick Gold Corp$22.50+0.26(+1.17%)
- Crescent Point Energy Corp$22.41+0.85(+3.94%)
- Enerplus Corp$6.81+0.30(+4.61%)
- ARC Resources Ltd$21.53+0.54(+2.57%)
- Twin Butte Energy Ltd$0.070.00(-6.67%)
- Whitecap Resources Inc$10.22+0.30(+3.02%)
- Athabasca Oil Corp$1.44+0.09(+6.67%)
- HudBay Minerals Inc$5.19+0.19(+3.80%)
- Teck Resources Ltd$12.66+0.47(+3.86%)
- Nuvista Energy Ltd$6.92+0.36(+5.49%)
- Paramount Resources Ltd$8.80+0.53(+6.41%)
- Tourmaline Oil Corp$31.38+1.04(+3.43%)
- Updated May 25 4:00 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.