John DeGoey is vice-president and associate portfolio manager at Burgeonvest Bick Securities. His focus is on personal finance and ETFs.
BMO Global Infrastructure Index ETF
Global Infrastructure is a relatively safe way to participate in equity markets, since everyone everywhere seems to renew their bridges, roads and sewers.
iShares S&P/TSX Capped Materials Index Fund
Materials have been severely beaten up lately, so this might be a chance to “buy on the dip.” About half of this product is gold and silver.
iShares S&P/TSX Capped REIT Index Fund
Canadian real estate has been dropping a fair bit lately. Depending on your view about future rate movements, this might be a temporary buying opportunity.
Past Picks: July 12, 2012
Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets Index ETF
Total return: +4.34 per cent
Vanguard FTSE Developed ex North America Index ETF (CAD-hedged)
Total return: +27.43 per cent
Vanguard U.S. Total Market Index ETF (CAD-hedged)
Total return: +26.74 per cent
Total return average: +19.50 per cent
I have no forecast regarding what the market might do in the future. Owing to my belief in market equilibrium, I continue to hold that no one can reliably ‘outperform’ by picking stocks, forecasting market moves or timing changes in market sentiment. People who purport to be able to do so reliably are severely overstating their abilities.Report Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter:
- BMO Global Infrastructure Index ETF$37.550.00(0.00%)
- iShares S&P/TSX Capped Materials Index ETF$13.43+0.25(+1.90%)
- iShares S&P/TSX Capped REIT Index ETF$16.55+0.01(+0.06%)
- Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets All Cap Index ETF$33.14+0.21(+0.64%)
- Vanguard FTSE Developed All Cap Ex US Index ETF (CAD-hedged)$38.79-0.01(-0.03%)
- Vanguard US Total Market Index ETF (CAD-hedged)$47.56-0.14(-0.29%)
- Updated April 28 3:45 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.