John Hood is president and portfolio manager of J.C. Hood Investment Counsel. His focus is on options and ETFs.
Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF (CAD hedged)
I have been continually bullish on the U.S. markets with an asset mix of 20- to 25-per-cent U.S. stocks.
Vanguard MSCI Emerging Markets Index ETF
I also like Vanguard’s VEE Emerging Markets because of Vanguard’s lower costs but I only allocate 5 to 10 per cent to sectors/emerging markets.
BMO Covered Call Canadian Banks ETF
ZWB offers strong after-tax yields because it adds to the dividend of Canadian banks. Returns, however, are hitched to these banks.
Past picks: Dec. 15, 2012
iShares S&P 500 Index Fund (CAD hedged)
Total return: +16.06 per cent
iShares S&P/TSX 60 Index Fund
Total return: +10.55 per cent
BMO S&P/TSX Equal Weight Global Metals (CAD hedged)
Total return: –10.88 per cent
Total return average: +5.27 per cent
I have been continually bullish on the U.S. markets with about a 20- to 25-per-cent asset allocation. It’s important to remember that we are buying U.S. businesses through ETFs, not the U.S. economy, and that U.S. business is well capitalized and profitable. The S&P 500 was up 15 per cent last year.
- Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF(CAD-hedged)$36.60-0.10(-0.27%)
- Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets All Cap Index ETF$26.35-0.05(-0.19%)
- BMO Covered Call Canadian Banks ETF$16.47+0.04(+0.24%)
- iShares S&P 500 Index ETF$23.74-0.11(-0.46%)
- iShares S&P/TSX 60 Index ETF$20.54+0.08(+0.39%)
- BMO S&P/TSX EW Gbl Base Metals Hdg to CAD Idx ETF$7.56+0.21(+2.86%)
- Updated April 29 3:46 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.