John Hood is president and portfolio manager of J.C. Hood Investment Counsel. His focus is on options and ETFs.
Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF (CAD hedged)
I have been continually bullish on the U.S. markets with an asset mix of 20- to 25-per-cent U.S. stocks.
Vanguard MSCI Emerging Markets Index ETF
I also like Vanguard’s VEE Emerging Markets because of Vanguard’s lower costs but I only allocate 5 to 10 per cent to sectors/emerging markets.
BMO Covered Call Canadian Banks ETF
ZWB offers strong after-tax yields because it adds to the dividend of Canadian banks. Returns, however, are hitched to these banks.
Past picks: Dec. 15, 2012
iShares S&P 500 Index Fund (CAD hedged)
Total return: +16.06 per cent
iShares S&P/TSX 60 Index Fund
Total return: +10.55 per cent
BMO S&P/TSX Equal Weight Global Metals (CAD hedged)
Total return: –10.88 per cent
Total return average: +5.27 per cent
I have been continually bullish on the U.S. markets with about a 20- to 25-per-cent asset allocation. It’s important to remember that we are buying U.S. businesses through ETFs, not the U.S. economy, and that U.S. business is well capitalized and profitable. The S&P 500 was up 15 per cent last year.Report Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter:
- Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF(CAD-hedged)$38.49+0.32(+0.84%)
- Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets All Cap Index ETF$29.70+0.14(+0.47%)
- BMO Covered Call Canadian Banks ETF$17.09+0.01(+0.06%)
- iShares S&P 500 Index ETF$24.88+0.19(+0.77%)
- iShares S&P/TSX 60 Index ETF$21.60-0.02(-0.07%)
- BMO S&P/TSX EW Gbl Base Metals Hdg to CAD Idx ETF$8.15-0.05(-0.61%)
- Updated September 30 1:51 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.