What are we looking for?
Canadian stocks that appeal to both corporate insiders and Bay Street analysts. Both groups are in excellent positions to assess the outlook for a stock. The people who know a company most intimately are its senior executives and directors. When these insiders buy, it’s a signal they believe the stock is undervalued.
If the analysts who follow a sector also have a positive outlook for the stock, investors have an additional reason to explore the potential opportunity.
How did we do it?
We started with companies on the Toronto Stock Exchange that have market capitalizations of more than $500-million. These are firms of significant size.
We then looked for those that had insider buying of more than $100,000 during the past month, or in which the volume of the insider buying was at least 1 per cent of the total trading volume during that period. Either is a sign that corporate insiders are buying in significant quantities.
To make our list, a stock also had to be followed by more than three analysts and to have a consensus recommendation of more than three on a scale where one equals “sell” and five equals “buy.” This suggests that a fair-sized group of independent observers are impressed by the stock’s potential.
We’ve ranked the 26 stocks in the table by the consensus analyst recommendation.
What did we find?
A list of companies in diverse sectors that seem to be highly regarded by both their insiders and the analysts who follow them. This double recommendation suggests these stocks may have potential for further gains. Remember, though, that it’s important to do your own research before buying – even the people who know a company best can be blinded by recent success.
Stocks that both insiders and analysts like
(% of total
|Total Energy Svc.||TOT-T||10.31||980,254.88|
|West Fraser Timber||WFT-T||0.17||536,038.94|
(% of total
|Total Energy Svc.||TOT-T||10.31||980,254.88||536.7||4.6||10|
|West Fraser Timber||WFT-T||0.17||536,038.94||3,854.40||4.56||9|
- Inter Pipeline$25.390.00(0.00%)
- Bellatrix Exploration Ltd$1.280.00(0.00%)
- Crescent Point Energy Corp$20.200.00(0.00%)
- Total Energy Services Inc$12.750.00(0.00%)
- West Fraser Timber Co Ltd$39.950.00(0.00%)
- Avigilon Corp$15.730.00(0.00%)
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc$44.490.00(0.00%)
- FirstService Corp$57.920.00(0.00%)
- Linamar Corp$53.690.00(0.00%)
- Shawcor Ltd$31.000.00(0.00%)
- Sunopta Inc$6.110.00(0.00%)
- Finning International Inc$21.040.00(0.00%)
- First Majestic Silver Corp$12.610.00(0.00%)
- RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust$27.280.00(0.00%)
- Pure Industrial Real Estate Trust$4.900.00(0.00%)
- Superior Plus Corp$11.380.00(0.00%)
- SNC-Lavalin Group Inc$45.690.00(0.00%)
- ARC Resources Ltd$20.870.00(0.00%)
- Capital Power Corporation$17.710.00(0.00%)
- Fortis Inc$40.670.00(0.00%)
- Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd$180.160.00(0.00%)
- Barrick Gold Corp$23.000.00(0.00%)
- Emera Inc$46.260.00(0.00%)
- Onex Corp$76.660.00(0.00%)
- Westshore Terminals Investment Corp$18.300.00(0.00%)
- Updated May 5 3:59 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.