Globe editors have posted this research report with permission of S&P Dow Jones Indices. This should not be construed as an endorsement of the report’s recommendations. For more on The Globe’s disclaimers please read here. The following is excerpted from the report:
Canadian equity markets experienced their best month so far this year. The S&P/TSX composite and S&P/TSX 60 both surged 5 per cent in October, contributing to half of the gains year to date.
Despite the U.S. federal shutdown and possible debt ceiling crisis, U.S. markets also had another good month with the S&P 500, also up 5 per cent, achieving new highs.
Nine sectors of the S&P/TSX composite posted positive returns, with industrials and financials leading at the top and the laggard technology sector, down 1 per cent, at the bottom.
Global equity markets enjoyed similar gains, with developed and emerging markets up 3 per cent and 5 per cent, respectively.
Commodities added to declines earlier this year. Both the Dow Jones-UBS Commodity and S&P GSCI are in negative territory year to date.
Read the full report here.
Read other research reports here.Report Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter:
- S&P/TSX Composite15,586.13+79.66(+0.51%)
- S&P/TSX Capped Financials Index283.91+0.97(+0.34%)
- S&P/TSX ENERGY196.07+1.47(+0.76%)
- CAN INDUSTRIALS216.91-0.10(-0.05%)
- CAN CONS DISCR197.71+0.21(+0.11%)
- CAN TELECOMMS167.89+0.13(+0.08%)
- S&P/TSX Capped Materials Index243.75+4.42(+1.85%)
- CAN CONS STPLS562.60+5.09(+0.91%)
- S&P/TSX UTILS249.65+0.24(+0.10%)
- CAN HLTH CARE64.11+0.54(+0.85%)
- CAN TECH INDEX62.45+0.72(+1.17%)
- Updated April 28 4:33 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.