John DeGoey is vice-president and associate portfolio manager at BBSL. His focus is on personal finance and ETFs.
BMO Global Infrastructure Index ETF (ZGI TSX)
Global Infrastructure is a relatively safe way to participate in equity markets, since everyone everywhere seems to renew their bridges, roads and sewers
iShares S&P/TSX Capped Materials Index Fund (XMA TSX)
Materials have been severely beaten up lately, so this might be a chance to ‘buy on the dip’. About half of this product is gold and silver
iShares S&P/TSX Capped REIT Index Fund (XRE TSX)
Canadian Real Estate has been dropping a fair bit lately. Depending on your view about future rate movements, this might be a temporary buying opportunity
Past Picks: July 12, 2012
Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets Index ETF (VEE TSX)
Then: $23.65; Now: $24.05; Total return: +4.34%
Vanguard FTSE Developed ex North America Index ETF (CAD-hedged) (VEF TSX)
Then: $24.89; Now: $30.50; Total return: +27.43%
Vanguard U.S. Total Market Index ETF (CAD-hedged) (VUS TSX)
Then: $26.45; Now: $33.04; Total return: +26.74%
Total return average: +19.50%
I have no forecast regarding what the market might do in the future. Owing to my belief in market equilibrium, I continue to hold that no one can reliably ‘outperform’ by picking stocks, forecasting market moves or timing changes in market sentiment. People who purport to be able to do so reliably are severely overstating their abilities.
- BMO Global Infrastructure Index ETF$30.76-0.08(-0.26%)
- iShares S&P/TSX Capped Materials Index ETF$13.09+0.69(+5.56%)
- iShares S&P/TSX Capped REIT Index ETF$16.02+0.02(+0.12%)
- Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets All Cap Index ETF$26.35-0.05(-0.19%)
- Vanguard FTSE Developed All Cap Ex US Index ETF (CAD-hedged)$33.26-0.42(-1.25%)
- Vanguard US Total Market Index ETF (CAD-hedged)$40.94-0.22(-0.53%)
- Updated April 29 3:04 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.