Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

(John Tomaselli/photos.com)
(John Tomaselli/photos.com)

Understanding Tax

How to make changes to your tax return Add to ...

If you find an error or need to change something after you file your tax return, follow these 3 steps.

Three steps to request a change

  1. Wait until you receive your notice of assessment before you request the change. Do not file another tax return for that same year.
  2. Complete and send the T1 Adjustment Request form to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Or you can make changes online at My Account on the CRA website.
  3. Send any documents to the CRA to support the changes you want to make.

The CRA will take about 8 weeks to review and process your request. Then it will send you:

More Related to this Story

  • a notice of reassessment showing any changes to your return, or
  • a letter explaining why it did not accept the changes you requested.

You can request a change to tax returns from the last 10 years. Learn more about how to make a change.


Content in this section is provided in partnership with Investor Education Fund, a non-profit organization founded and supported by the Ontario Securities Commission that provides unbiased and independent financial tools to help Canadians make better money decisions. To find out more, go to: GetSmarterAboutMoney.ca


In the know

Most popular videos »


More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular