The Globe and Mail

Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Globe Investor

News Sources

Take control of your investments with the latest investing news and analysis

Press release from CNW Group

Ivanhoe Energy Announces Testing of Xu-5 Formation at Zitong-1 Well in China to Commence

Friday, February 11, 2011

Ivanhoe Energy Announces Testing of Xu-5 Formation at Zitong-1 Well in China to Commence12:46 EST Friday, February 11, 2011CALGARY, Feb. 11 /CNW/ - David Dyck, President and Chief Operating Officer of Ivanhoe Energy Inc. (TSX: IE, NASDAQ: IVAN) and Gerald Moench, President of Sunwing Energy Ltd., announced today that following the Chinese New Year holiday, Sunwing Energy has resumed site operations at its Zitong-1 well and is preparing to perforate and test the Xu-5 Formation. Test results are expected before the end of February.Sunwing is the operator of the 659,840-acre (1,031 square miles) Zitong exploration block in Sichuan, and holds a 90% interest in a Petroleum Contract with PetroChina Company Limited. Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Company of Japan holds the remaining 10% interest.Ivanhoe Energy Inc. is an independent, international heavy oil development and production company focused on pursuing long-term growth in its reserves and production using advanced technologies, including its proprietary, patented heavy to light upgrading process (HTL™). Core operations are in Canada, Ecuador, China and Mongolia, with business development opportunities worldwide. Ivanhoe's shares trade on the NASDAQ Capital Market with the ticker symbol IVAN and on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol IE.For more information about Ivanhoe Energy Inc. please visit our web site at www.ivanhoeenergy.com.FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS: This document includes forward-looking statements, including forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements concerning the estimated quantities of gas in each target in the Guan structure, the anticipated amount of time required for, and the estimated cost of, drilling, testing and casing the Yixin-2 and Zitong-1 wells and other statements which are not historical facts.  When used in this document, the words such as "could", "plan", "estimate", "anticipate", "intend", "may", "potential", "should", and similar expressions relating to matters that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements. Although Ivanhoe Energy and Sunwing Energy believe that their expectations reflected in these forward-looking statements are reasonable, such statements involve risks and uncertainties and no assurance can be given that actual results will be consistent with these forward-looking statements.  Important factors that could cause actual results to differ from these forward-looking statements include the possibility that the company will be unable to raise financing, the potential that the company's projects will experience technological and mechanical problems, geological conditions in reservoirs may not result in commercial levels of oil and gas production, the availability of drilling rigs and other support services, uncertainties about the estimates of the reserves, the risk associates with doing business in foreign countries, environmental risks, changes in product prices, our availability to generate cash flow and raise capital as and when required, competition and other risks disclosed in Ivanhoe Energy's Annual Report on Form 10-K files with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on EDGAR and the Canadian Securities Commissions on SEDAR.For further information: David Dyck: 1 (403) 817-1138 Dorreen Miller: 1 (403) 817-1108 info@ivanhoeenergy.com