Press release from Business Wire
PetSmart® Celebrates Earth Day with Silver LEED Certification of Nevada Distribution Center from the U.S. Green Building Council
Friday, April 22, 2011
PHOENIX (Business Wire) -- PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) today announced that its distribution center located 20 miles outside of Reno in McCarran, Nevada, has been awarded Silver Certification under the U.S. Green Building Council's (USGBC) Leadership for Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance rating system. LEED is the USGBC's leading edge system for design and construction of the world's greenest, energy efficient and high-performing buildings.
In less than one year, PetSmart was able to transform an already efficient building into a LEED-Certified Silver distribution center. The distribution center features a white reflective roof, high efficiency heating and cooling units, occupancy sensors and a fish water recycling system. Some of the other upgrades included: purchase of chairs made of recycled content, green cleaning products, recycled content paper, ENERGY STAR, qualified electronics and execution of a waste stream audit.
"Silver LEED Certification for PetSmart's Nevada distribution center is a significant achievement for the entire Company in our commitment not only to sustainability, but to the local community," shared Suzanne Lindsay, Director of Environmental Sustainability for PetSmart. "For example, local water conservation efforts are a priority in the region and are now supported by our innovative fish water recycling system.”
To secure LEED for Existing Buildings' Operations and Maintenance certification, PetSmart focused on implementing environmentally sustainable programs and tactics within the facility. Sustainable design was one part of an overall approach, being mindful of the building's physical surroundings, the environment and the employees that would occupy the building. The distribution center's sustainable features include:
- Water-Saving Fish System: The distribution center's fish water distribution system uses 90 percent less water than what is used in a comparable system. How? With a focus on water conservation, the building plans included construction of an underground 10,000 gallon water repository that supports a recirculating function. This feature enhances the time taken to return water to usable standards and greatly reduces water discharge.
- Water-Efficient Landscaping: The water conservation plan resulted in a 78 percent reduction of potable water when compared to the water used in landscaping the distribution center's grounds prior to this program.
- Commuter Program: By carpooling, employees reduced the amount of conventional commuting trips by 17 percent compared to the number of trips by these same employees prior to the implementation of this program.
- Heat Island Reduction-Roof: The white reflective roof has a Weighted Solar Reflectance Index (SRI) compliant area of 122 percent.
- Energy Efficiency Performance: ENERGY STAR performance rating of 85
- Ongoing Consumables: 73 percent of total ongoing consumable purchases are sustainable.
- Solid Waste Management: 80 percent of all ongoing consumables are diverted from landfills and recycled.
- Sustainable Cleaning Products: Green cleaning products for indoor janitorial use are Green Seal certified by the Green Business Bureau.
- Pest Management: 100 percent of the integrated pest management processes use sustainable products and equipment.
PetSmart opened its first LEED Silver Certified store in 2009 in Manahawkin, NJ. PetSmart is also pursuing LEED certification at its Babylon, NY store.
The USGBC's LEED certification of the Nevada distribution center resulted from PetSmart's environmental sustainability platform, Think Twice™, which encourages PetSmart associates to reduce environmental dependencies and create business value through sustainable practices. The overall goal of this program is to create simple, informative and engaging ways to consider the environment in each aspect of PetSmart's business and everything each associate does. PetSmart was named in Newsweek's “Green Ranking” as one of the greenest big companies in America in 2009 & 2010.
PetSmart, Inc. is the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. The company employs approximately 47,000 associates and operates more than 1,187 pet stores in the United States and Canada, 180 in-store PetSmart PetsHotel® cat and dog boarding facilities, and is a leading online provider of pet supplies and pet care information (http://www.petsmart.com). PetSmart provides a broad range of competitively priced pet food and pet products; and offers complete pet training, pet grooming, pet boarding, PetSmart® Doggie Day Camp℠ pet day care services and pet adoption services. Since 1994, PetSmart Charities, Inc., an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit animal welfare organization and the largest funder of animal welfare efforts in North America, has provided more than $110 million in grants and programs benefiting animal welfare organizations. Through its in-store pet adoption partnership with PetSmart Charities®, PetSmart has helped save the lives of more than 4.4 million pets.
Follow PetSmart on Twitter @PetSmart
Find PetSmart on Facebook www.facebook.com/PetSmart
PetSmart Media Line