Press release from CNW Group
THE ALL NEW KOBO eREADER? TOUCH EDITION ARRIVES AT INDIGO
Friday, June 10, 2011
- IT'S HERE. IT'S HOT. GET IT TODAY -
TORONTO, June 10, 2011 /CNW/ - A new chapter in eReaders begins today as the all new Kobo eReader Touch Edition ($139) arrives at Indigo, Chapters and Coles stores nationally. Indigo Books & Music Inc. will also begin shipping devices to booklovers who reserved their new Kobo Touch when the eReader was launched by Indigo's majority held global eReading company, Kobo, Inc. at last month's Book Expo America. The new Kobo eReader features a revolutionary new Real Touch™ screen experience that makes eReading easier than ever.
Indigo, Canada's largest book, gift and specialty toy retailer is committed to enhancing the reading experience for booklovers regardless of the format in which they choose to read. According to Indigo Books & Music CEO and Founder, and Kobo Chair Heather Reisman, "Kobo provides another exciting advance in ease of use, comfort and style for readers, globally with today's launch of the new Kobo eReader Touch Edition."
Tech experts agree:
"Yes, a touchscreen eReader for a reasonable price is finally available." - CrunchGear
"...the new Kobo eReader Touch Edition looks sweet… it is also a bargain." Wired Gadget Blog
"This is a small e-reader, with a 6" screen so it can fit in your back pocket." ITWorld
The new Kobo eReader Touch Edition comes in an array of new colors, and debuts with a line of stylish accessories. Available now in-store and online, it makes the perfect gift for Father's Day or graduation.
New features include:
- New touch interface that allows you to navigate and turn pages with the touch of your finger
- 6" Pearl eInk glare-free screen that offers higher contrast, sharper images and faster page refreshes - and lets you read anywhere, even in direct sunlight
- Easily connect via WiFi or USB to access over 2.3 million books, newspapers and magazines from the Kobo Store with titles ranging from the NYT's bestseller list, the hottest new releases, thrillers, romance, Heather's Picks and more - there is an eBook for everyone
- Find your books faster with improved search, highlight passages, bookmark multiple pages, and jump back and forth to any page in your book with full navigation - all by the touch of your finger.
- The Kobo-signature soft quilted back now comes in new colours. Choose from Lilac, Pearlized White, Silver and Black.
- Shop & Read on Any Device with Kobo: Visit kobo.com, use the Kobo Desktop or use an Android phone, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry® Smartphone or Blackberry® PlayBook to browse and shop the Kobo store. Your library will always be kept up to date with Kobo Sync.
The popular first generation Kobo WiFi is also available at the low price of $109.
Some interesting Kobo stats:
- 3.6 million readers - 10 months to 1 million, 90 days to 2 million, 65 days to 3 million
- Customers from over 100 countries shop at Kobo each week
- More than one book per second downloaded at peak hours
- Millions of books have been downloaded
- 5 million awards given to readers since December 2010 for reading
- #1 Rated Free Book App Worldwide on iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch
Statements contained in this news release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements which involve risk and uncertainties that could cause results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements. Among the key factors that could cause such differences are: general economic, market or business conditions in Canada; competitive actions by other companies; changes in laws or regulations; and other factors, many of which are beyond the control of the Company.
About Indigo Books & Music Inc.
Indigo is a publicly traded Canadian company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (IDG) and the majority shareholder of the global eReading service Kobo, Inc. As the largest book, gift and specialty toy retailer in Canada, Indigo operates in all provinces under different banners including Indigo Books & Music; Indigo Books, Gifts, Kids; IndigoSpirit, Chapters, The World's Biggest Bookstore, and Coles. The online division, http://www.chapters.indigo.ca, features books, eBooks, toys, gifts and, and hosts the award winning Indigo Online Community.
About Kobo, Inc.
Kobo is a global eReading service with more than 2.3 million eBooks, magazines and newspapers - one of the largest eReading catalogues in the world. Kobo believes consumers should have the freedom to read any book on any device and has attracted millions of readers from over 100 countries across the globe. Kobo has top ranked eReading applications for iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows and MacOS, and is the eReading application of choice for leading tablet OEMs. Kobo's innovative Reading Life is an industry-first comprehensive social eReading experience - Kobo users can earn awards simply for time spent reading and encouraging others. Kobo is backed by majority shareholder Indigo Books & Music Inc, Cheung Kong Holdings, and institutional investors.
For further information:
For images and further information please contact:
Vice President, Public Relations, Indigo Books & Music Inc.
416 342 8561