The Globe and Mail

Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Press release from PR Newswire

comScore Releases November 2011 U.S. Search Engine Rankings

Friday, December 16, 2011

comScore Releases November 2011 U.S. Search Engine Rankings16:01 EST Friday, December 16, 2011RESTON, Va., Dec. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- comScore, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCOR), a leader in measuring the digital world, today released its monthly comScore qSearch analysis of the U.S. search marketplace. Google Sites led the explicit core search market in November with 65.4 percent of search queries conducted. (Logo:  http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20080115/COMSCORELOGO)U.S. Explicit Core SearchGoogle Sites led the U.S. explicit core search market in November with 65.4 percent market share, followed by Yahoo! Sites with 15.1 percent and Microsoft Sites with 15.0 percent (up 0.2 percentage points). Ask Network accounted for 2.9 percent of explicit core searches, followed by AOL, Inc. with 1.6 percent (up 0.1 percentage points). comScore Explicit Core Search Share Report*November 2011 vs. October 2011 Total U.S. ? Home & Work LocationsSource: comScore qSearchCore Search EntityExplicit Core Search Share (%)Oct-11Nov-11Point ChangeTotal Explicit Core Search100.0%100.0%N/AGoogle Sites65.6%65.4%-0.2Yahoo! Sites15.2%15.1%-0.1Microsoft Sites14.8%15.0%0.2Ask Network2.9%2.9%0.0AOL, Inc.1.5%1.6%0.1*"Explicit Core Search" excludes contextually driven searches that do not reflect specific user intent to interact with the search results.More than 17.8 billion explicit core searches were conducted in November. Google Sites ranked first with 11.7 billion, followed by Yahoo! Sites with 2.7 billion and Microsoft Sites with 2.7 billion. Ask Network delivered 516 million searches, while AOL, Inc. rounded out the top five with 286 million (up 3 percent). comScore Explicit Core Search Query ReportNovember 2011 vs. October 2011 Total U.S. ? Home & Work LocationsSource: comScore qSearchCore Search EntityExplicit Core Search Queries (MM)Oct-11Nov-11Percent ChangeTotal Explicit Core Search18,07717,887-1%Google Sites11,86311,704-1%Yahoo! Sites2,7412,696-2%Microsoft Sites2,6782,6840%Ask Network5185160%AOL, Inc. 2772863%U.S. Total Core SearchGoogle Sites accounted for 65.7 percent of total core search queries conducted, followed by Yahoo! Sites with 16.3 percent and Microsoft Sites with 14.0 percent (up 0.4 percentage points). Ask Network comprised 2.6 percent of total search queries, followed by AOL, Inc. with 1.4 percent. comScore Total Core Search Share Report* November 2011 vs. October 2011 Total U.S. ? Home & Work LocationsSource: comScore qSearchCore Search EntityTotal Core Search Share (%)Oct-11Nov-11Point ChangeTotal Core Search100.0%100.0%N/AGoogle Sites66.2%65.7%-0.5Yahoo! Sites16.3%16.3%0.0Microsoft Sites13.6%14.0%0.4Ask Network2.6%2.6%0.0AOL, Inc.1.4%1.4%0.0* "Total Core Search" is based on the five major search engines, including partner searches, cross-channel searches and contextual searches. Searches for mapping, local directory, and user-generated video sites that are not on the core domain of the five search engines are not included in these numbers. Americans conducted 19.9 billion total core search queries in November. Google Sites ranked first with 13.1 billion searches, followed by Yahoo! Sites with 3.2 billion and Microsoft Sites with 2.8 billion (up 1 percent). comScore Total Core Search Query ReportNovember 2011 vs. October 2011 Total U.S. ? Home & Work LocationsSource: comScore qSearchCore Search EntityTotal Core Search Queries (MM)Oct-11Nov-11Percent ChangeTotal Core Search20,29519,906-2%Google Sites13,43113,074-3%Yahoo! Sites3,3063,245-2%Microsoft Sites2,7622,7851%Ask Network5185160%AOL, Inc.2772863%"Powered By" ReportingAs a part of comScore's commitment to accurately represent the continued evolution of the search landscape, comScore is providing insight into the share of organic Core Explicit searches that are powered by Google and Bing. In November, 67.6 percent of searches carried organic search results from Google (vs. 67.7 percent in October) while 26.7 percent of searches were powered by Bing (vs. 26.1 percent in October).About comScorecomScore, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCOR) is a global leader in measuring the digital world and preferred source of digital business analytics. For more information, please visit www.comscore.com/companyinfo.SOURCE comScore, Inc.For further information: Stephanie Flosi of comScore, Inc., +1-312-777-8801, press@comscore.com