The Globe and Mail

Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Globe Investor

News Sources

Take control of your investments with the latest investing news and analysis

Press release from Business Wire

Sallie Mae Reminds College Bound Students: Put FAFSA at the Top of Your New Year's Resolution List

<p class='bwalignc'> <b>Financial Aid Form Available Jan. 1, State Deadlines as Early as Mid-February</b> </p>

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sallie Mae Reminds College Bound Students: Put FAFSA at the Top of Your New Year's Resolution List10:35 EST Thursday, December 29, 2011 NEWARK, Del. (Business Wire) -- Sallie Mae, the nation's No. 1 financial services company specializing in education, encourages high school seniors and other college-bound students to make completing the FAFSA part of their New Year's resolution checklist. The form for the 2012-13 academic year will become available on Jan. 1. The FAFSA, which stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is a must-do for students looking to tap not only federal aid but also most state and institutional aid. To help make it easier for students, Sallie Mae offers free tips and how-to videos at According to Sallie Mae's “How America Pays for College” national study, 80 percent of undergraduates completed the FAFSA last academic year, the highest percentage since the research series began. Still, that leaves 20 percent who did not complete the form and may potentially miss out on federal or state aid. While the form for the 2012-13 academic year asks virtually the same 100-plus personal and financial questions as in the past, the Department of Education and IRS recently made the form easier to complete online and now enable electronic transfer of tax form data from the IRS to the FAFSA form. FAFSA deadlines differ by state, with the earliest on Feb. 15 in Connecticut, quickly followed by California, Idaho, Indiana, Maryland and Michigan in early March, to name a few. Students should also consult their school's website to see when it requires FAFSA or other financial data as part of its aid and scholarship award process. Sallie Mae (NASDAQ: SLM) is the nation's No. 1 financial services company specializing in education. Whether college is a long way off or just around the corner, Sallie Mae helps turn education dreams into reality for 25 million customers. With products and services that include college savings programs, scholarship search tools, education loans, tuition insurance, and online banking, Sallie Mae offers solutions that help families save, plan, and pay for college. Sallie Mae also provides financial services to hundreds of college campuses as well as to federal and state governments. Learn more at Commonly known as Sallie Mae, SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America. Sallie MaeMedia:Patricia Nash Christel, 302-283-4076patricia.christel@salliemae.comorAbigail Harper,