Press release from Marketwire
ATCO Gas Celebrates a Century of Natural Gas Service in Alberta
100-year milestone marked by community events and home heating contest
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
EDMONTON, ALBERTA--(Marketwire - May 29, 2012) - ATCO Gas is celebrating 100 years of providing safe, reliable natural gas service to Albertans. To mark this milestone, ATCO Gas has planned a variety of exciting community events across the province this summer. Customers can also win home heating for a year.
"It is because of our customers that ATCO proudly marks a century of heating homes and warming communities in Alberta," said Bill Stephens, Senior Vice President & General Manager, ATCO Gas. "ATCO Gas is an integral member of the communities it serves and has been an important contributor to the economic development of this province."
Centennial Year Community Celebrations
- ATCO Gas's 100 Days of Summer Tour will visit approximately 50 communities across Alberta from May 29 - September 7. The celebration tour features free community barbeques, children's activities, giveaways and refreshments from the ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen. A vaudeville-style live theatre show entitled, He's Got the Pipes, will tell the history of natural gas service in Alberta in a fun and entertaining style suitable for all ages.
- A legacy gift will be given to the eight communities along the original Bow Island to Calgary pipeline that first received natural gas service in 1912. The communities include Lethbridge, Brooks, Fort MacLeod, Granum, Claresholm, Nanton, Okotoks and Calgary. Special festivities are also planned.
- A pinnacle celebration will take place July 15 at the closing grandstand show at the Calgary Stampede. The cauldron atop the Calgary Tower will be lit to commemorate the flaring ceremony that took place July 1912 as natural gas was brought to the City of Calgary.
- ATCO Gas customers can enter online (atcogas.com) to win one of five Heat Your Home for a Year prizes and much more. Customers are also invited to share their stories of how natural gas has helped to change life for their family or community.
- ATCO Gas employees have committed to 100 Days of Caring in which volunteers will complete 100 community-service projects.
ATCO Gas is celebrating 100 years of heating homes and warming communities in Alberta. As an Alberta-based, province-wide natural gas distribution company, ATCO Gas serves more than one million customers in nearly 300 Alberta communities and is part of the ATCO Group of Companies.
ATCO Group, with more than 8,800 employees and assets of approximately $13 billion, delivers service excellence and innovative business solutions worldwide with leading companies engaged in structures & logistics (manufacturing, logistics and noise abatement), utilities (pipelines, natural gas and electricity transmission and distribution), energy (power generation, natural gas gathering, processing, storage and liquids extraction) and technologies (business systems solutions). More information can be found at www.atco.com.
Forward-Looking Information: Certain statements contained in this news release may constitute forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are often, but not always, identified by the use of words such as "anticipate", "plan", "expect", "may", "will", "intend", "should", and similar expressions. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results or events to differ materially from those anticipated in such forward-looking statements. The Corporation believes that the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are reasonable, but no assurance can be given that these expectations will prove to be correct and such forward-looking statements should not be unduly relied upon. The Corporation's actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements as a result of regulatory decisions, competitive factors in the industries in which the Corporation operates, prevailing economic conditions, and other factors, many of which are beyond the control of the Corporation. The forward-looking statements contained in this news release represent the Corporation's expectations as of the date hereof, and are subject to change after such date. The Corporation disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required under applicable securities regulations.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Corporate Communications ATCO Gas 780-288-7621 (24 hours) www.atco.com