Press release from CNW Group
Spokesperson/Resource Availability Alert - Looking for a health and nutrition, lifestyle or culinary resource? Loblaw Companies Limited has a specialist for your stories!
Wednesday, October 03, 2012
BRAMPTON, ON, Oct. 3, 2012 /CNW/ - (TSX:L) - Healthy living is something many Canadians strive for, but between eating the right foods, exercising and being mindful of health risks, it can feel like a daunting endeavor. Loblaw banner stores offer one of Canada's leading assortments of fresh offerings* along with a broad range of services to empower Canadians to make healthier choices including the presence of 21 dietitians in 44 Loblaws® store locations across Ontario. If you're looking for new ideas or need a trusted opinion, Loblaw has a panel of media-savvy specialists for print or broadcast opportunities across the province to help support your audience in their journey towards achieving healthier lifestyles.
Alexis Williams, Registered Dietitian, Health and Wellness Director,
Loblaw Companies Limited
Alexis develops health and wellness services and programs for Loblaw banner stores including the in-store dietitians program offered at selected Loblaws® store locations that offers personalized grocery store tours and more to customers. Alexis also has experience as a fitness instructor, personal trainer, and nutrition counsellor.
Tina Stewart, Registered Dietitian, President's Choice® Product Development, Loblaw Companies Limited
Toronto-based Tina works with the President's Choice® product development team. As a busy mom of two, including one child with food allergies, Tina has great tips to offer for choosing healthier foods and filling your grocery cart with them.
Susan MacFarlane, In-store Registered Dietitian, Loblaws® store in Kanata, Ottawa, Ontario
Ottawa-based dietitian Susan MacFarlane leads grocery store tours, food demonstrations, cooking classes, educational seminars and 1:1 nutrition consultations, specializing in vegan/vegetarian diets. In addition, Susan consults on nutrition-related chronic disease management such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity and metabolic syndrome and has facilitated numerous talks relating to infant feeding and picky eaters.
The Loblaw team of dietitians have a wealth of advice to offer on healthy living such as:
- Easy ways to increase fibre and omega-3 intake and decrease sodium, fat and sugar in your daily meals
- Nutrition advice
- Selecting healthier foods - eating better starts with shopping better
- Learn about meal planning tips for allergy management and health concerns such as diabetes and hypertension and other chronic disease management
- Programs at your local Loblaw banner store to help keep families healthy
Tom Filippou, Executive Chef and National Director, President's Choice® Cooking Schools, Loblaw Companies Limited
You may know Chef Tom from many of the commercials featuring President's Choice® products, serving up great food alongside Galen G. Weston. Chef Tom is also responsible for more than 200 President's Choice® Cooking Schools across Canada. He can provide a variety of recipe ideas and inspiration for entertaining that's sure to make an impression on your guests.
Dana Speers, Executive Chef, President's Choice® Test Kitchen, Loblaw Companies Limited
A mom, Gemini award winner and a chef in the President's Choice® Test Kitchen, Dana is always eager to share simple, healthy and kid-friendly recipes and cooking tips that are perfect for busy Canadian families.
Speros Dorovenis, B.Sc.Phm., Pharm.D., R.Ph., Pharmacy Manager, the Loblaws® store at Maple Leaf Gardens**, Loblaw Companies Limited
Speros Dorovenis is the pharmacy manager at the Loblaws® store at Maple Leaf Gardens** and is committed to providing consumers with a pharmacy experience that focuses on food and nutrition as a complimentary solution to health. Speros collaborates closely with in-store dietitians and the walk-in clinic medical team to help patients achieve their health goals. Speros can help guide your readers through seasonal concerns such as surviving cold and flu season, or provide tips on enhancing their relationship with their pharmacists as trusted health and wellness resources.
Loblaw banner stores also offer:
Partnerships with third party organizations to provide a true health and wellness destination experience for customers.
- Hypertension Canada: This partnership provides customers with a cardiovascular risk assessment including blood pressure and cholesterol readings and tools such as S.A.L.T. (Sodium Awareness Lifestyle Tips), an educational booklet highlighting information related to sodium intake.
- Get Checked Now (Diabetes): The Canadian Diabetes Association (CDA) and Loblaw offer the Get Checked Now program at participating in-store pharmacy locations across Canada (excluding Quebec). The program offers support for diabetics to help manage their condition.
- Anaphylaxis Awareness (Allergies): Customers can take advantage of the Food Allergy Management Assessments program at participating Loblaws® in store pharmacies. The program is designed to help put allergy patients at ease and includes tools like anaphylaxis emergency plans and auto injector instruction sheets.
A variety of products and services to help customers make healthier choices;
- PC® Blue Menu® products: Loblaw continues to provide a large selection of quality products that accommodate various nutrition and dietary requirements all under one roof. PC® Blue Menu™ products have new, easy to read packaging. Just look for plus (+) and minus (-) symbols on the package to see exactly what nutrients the product contains more or less of. In addition to PC® Blue Menu™ products, consumers can look in store for PC® Organics, peanut free and Natural Value™ offerings.
- Guiding Stars program: Guiding Stars® is an objective, nutrition navigation program that provides at-a-glance nutritional ratings for foods. Exclusively available in Canada at Ontario Loblaws® store locations, it provides a fast easy way to make healthier choices by ranking products with up to three stars on shelf tags.
Additional programs and services to help enhance support and customers' healthy lifestyles;
- Cooking school classes: Many locations offer cooking classes with both a dietitian and a chef to cater to consumers with health conditions such as diabetes. These classes provide consumers with long term nutrition solutions and tips to help support and manage their condition.
- In-store counsel with eye care professionals: Services include eye examinations and prescription eyewear fittings:
*Loblaw Companies Limited calculation based in part on data reported by Nielsen through its Retailer Track Service for the Fresh categories for the 52-week period ending February 18, 2012 for the National All Channels market. Copyright © 2012, The Nielsen Company.
**Reg'd. TM Lic'd Use.
About Loblaw Companies Limited TSX:L
Loblaw Companies Limited, a subsidiary of George Weston Limited, is Canada's largest food retailer and a leading provider of drugstore, general merchandise and financial products and services. Loblaw is one of the largest private sector employers in Canada. With more than 1,000 corporate and franchised stores from coast to coast, Loblaw and its franchisees employ more than 135,000 full-time and part-time employees. Through its portfolio of store formats, Loblaw is committed to providing Canadians with a wide, growing and successful range of products and services to meet the everyday household demands of Canadian consumers. Loblaw is known for the quality, innovation and value of its food offering. It offers Canada's strongest control (private) label program, including the unique President's Choice®, no name® and Joe Fresh® brands. In addition, the Company makes available to consumers President's Choice Financial® services and offers the PC® points loyalty program.
SOURCE: Loblaw Companies Limited
For further information:
or to arrange an interview with one of our Loblaw spokespeople, please contact:
Hill+ Knowlton Strategies
Loblaw Companies Limited