Press release from CNW Group
RBC releases 2012 Corporate Responsibility Report and Public Accountability Statement
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
TORONTO, March 12, 2013 /CNW/ - RBC has released its 2012 Corporate Responsibility Report and Public Accountability Statement, outlining the bank's economic, environmental and social commitments and their impact.
"A growing number of organizations are looking at ways to contribute to social and environmental success while driving financial performance," said Gordon Nixon, president and chief executive officer, RBC. "At RBC, we work hard to strike a balance between our business interests and broader social and environmental interests. We believe that this balance is critical to our long-term success."
RBC focuses on six priority areas where we have an impact as a financial services company: corporate integrity, economic impact, marketplace, workplace, environment and community. RBC's commitments in each of these priority areas comprise our overall corporate responsibility strategy. We track and report our performance against these commitments every year.
RBC performance highlights from 2012 include:
Corporate Integrity: Financial services companies depend on a foundation of trust and on effective risk management for their long-term success. We maintain trust by acting with integrity in everything we do.
- Promoting transparency: Received the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants' 2012 Award of Excellence in Corporate Governance Disclosure.
- Managing risk effectively: Updated our Anti-Money Laundering Framework and related policies to promote integrity and ensure continued compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
Economic impact: Like all businesses, RBC strives to generate profits, while also having a positive impact on the economies of the communities and countries in which we do business.
- Supporting small businesses: Served more than 543,000 small business clients in Canada and the Caribbean.
- Purchasing goods and services responsibly: Purchased goods and services totaling $5.9 billion from suppliers of all sizes as part of our Responsible Procurement Policy.
Marketplace: RBC's vision is to "always earn the right to be our clients' first choice." Our practices and performance in the marketplace, including products, services and the expertise of employees are essential to helping us meet this goal.
- Promoting financial literacy: Added a debt-reduction planner and debt-consolidation calculator to our online offerings to help clients, prospective clients and the public at large.
- Improving access to basic banking: Added 27 branches and 431 ATMs to the Canadian network, bringing the bank's national total to 1,239 branches and 4,724 ATMs.
Workplace: At RBC, our employees are our greatest asset. We depend on the expertise, professionalism and integrity of our 80,000 person strong workforce worldwide to create and deliver products and services to meet our clients' needs.
- Building a diverse organization: 36 per cent of executives are women, as are 47 per cent of middle management and above.
- Setting our employees up for success: Invested $151.2 million in formal training and career development initiatives to help employees build successful careers.
Environment: Environmental sustainability matters to our clients, shareholders and employees. We are committed to reducing our environmental footprint, lending responsibly, providing green products and services to our clients, and promoting environmental sustainability.
- Reducing our footprint: Canadian ATM and digital display networks powered with over 13,900 MWh of renewable energy, enough electricity to power more than 1150 Canadian homes for a year.
- Supporting sustainable businesses: $2.1 billion in renewable energy lending.
Community: We strongly believe in supporting the communities in which we live and work. This is not only a long-standing core value of RBC, but also an important component of our brand, driving our reputation and enhancing client and employee loyalty.
- Maintaining a strong social fabric in the communities: More than $95 million given in donations and sponsorships worldwide to support community activities and organizations.
- Supporting a broad range of causes: 9,000 donations made to charities worldwide in support of health and wellness, education, human services, arts and culture, the environment and civic and sport.
A short summary of the report, the Corporate Responsibility Review, is available in a carbon-neutral print version in RBC branches, and the full report is available as a PDF on rbc.com. RBC has produced an annual Corporate Responsibility Reports since 1999.
About RBC Community & Sustainability
Royal Bank of Canada (RY on TSX and NYSE) and its subsidiaries operate under the master brand name RBC. We employ approximately 80,000 full- and part-time employees who serve more than 15 million personal, business, public sector and institutional clients through offices in Canada, the U.S. and 49 other countries. RBC is recognized among the world's financial, social and environmental leaders and is listed on the 2012 - 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, the DJSI North American Index, the Jantzi Social Index and the FTSE4Good Index. RBC is one of Canada's Greenest Employers, one of Canada's 50 Most Socially Responsible Corporations and among the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World.
RBC supports a broad range of community initiatives through donations, sponsorships and employee volunteer activities. In 2012, we contributed more than $95 million to causes worldwide, including donations and community investments of more than $64 million and $31 million in sponsorships.
For further information:
André Roberts, RBC Communications, 416 974-3678