Press release from Business Wire
Jack Martin Announces New Leadership Positions Throughout Asia
<p class='bwalignc'> <i>Four appointments from chairman's recent 10-day Asia trip, all from within, are the latest examples of the firm's commitment to the region and to elevating internal talent</i> </p>
Tuesday, April 09, 2013
Jack Martin Announces New Leadership Positions Throughout Asia12:33 EDT Tuesday, April 09, 2013
NEW YORK (Business Wire) -- Hill+Knowlton Strategies Global Chairman and CEO Jack Martin has once again promoted from within his company's ranks to fill leadership positions in Asia. The appointments, announced during a recent 10-day trip to the global firm's operations in the region, are the latest in a series of key moves by Martin that demonstrate commitment to the growing importance of Asia's emerging markets, as well as to recognizing and rewarding internal talent.
“You've heard me speak often about my vision for our global firm in terms of filling the Fifth Seat for our clients,” Martin said, “the idea that when faced with significant decisions, companies turn to lawyers, bankers, management consultants and accountants for advice, and that our role is to fill a fifth seat, as the strategic counselor on issues at the intersection of our clients' business and the public.
“Today 60 percent of that public lives in Asia. A full one-fifth of that public lives in China, which is also the largest economy in the world after the United States,” Martin said. “The influence of China and broader Asia on our firm and our clients cannot be overstated, and that influence makes the region a top priority for me and for our firm.”
The new appointments elevate four proven H+K Strategies leaders in the Hong Kong and India operations and are effective immediately:
- Rachel Chan, a nearly nine-year veteran of H+K, has been promoted to managing director of the Hong Kong office. Previously, she served as general manager of the financial communications practice for Greater China.
- K.W. Lam, who has been with H+K for the past five years, has been named deputy managing director of Hong Kong. He previously served as the general manager of the financial communications practice in Hong Kong.
- Radhika Shapoorjee, a member of H+K IPAN since 2007, has been promoted to president, South Asia. She had served as president of H+K IPAN since 2008.
- Sara Gourlay, who joined H+K in 2000, has been promoted to COO of H+K Strategies India. She will be based in New Delhi. She had most recently been serving as the client service director for the region encompassing Africa, India, the Middle East and Turkey.
Martin's series of moves to highlight Asia as a focal point started in December with the appointment of John Morgan, the firm's Asia Pacific COO, to be the new president and CEO of Asia. Then in February, Martin elevated China to region status rather than continuing to be part of the broader Asia region and promoted long-time H+K Strategies talents Ye Yu and Ivy Soonthornsima to be co-leaders of the new region. Weeks later the firm announced it had strengthened its Singapore office by promoting Jamie Morse to be its managing director and Chip Ng to be its deputy managing director, as well as regional director of financial communications for Southeast Asia.
“In each case these individuals have been strong assets to the firm and their respective markets, and I am delighted to have them now serving in positions of greater leadership,” Martin said. “Just as I cannot overstate the importance of Asia to our firm, I also cannot overstate the importance of our amazing and talented team members across the globe to our firm's success. I am fully committed to ensuring that success is rewarded and that the opportunity for promotion and growth are available to all who seek it.”
About Hill+Knowlton Strategies
Hill+Knowlton Strategies, Inc. is a leading international communications consultancy, providing services to local, multinational and global clients. The firm is headquartered in New York, with 90 offices in 52 countries, as well as an extensive associate network. The agency is part of WPP, one of the world's largest communications services groups. For more information, please visit www.hkstrategies.com.
Additional background about the new appointments
New title: Managing director, Hong Kong
- Chan's more than 25 years of experience in corporate and financial communications was honed in positions within corporations, agencies and government. In 2004 she joined H+K Strategies, and a four-person financial communications team, in Hong Kong. Since then she has successfully built the practice into a team of more than 40 members, working with more than 60 retainer clients and achieving a leading position in the IPO market in Hong Kong.
- “My immediate focus is on a highly successful 2013 for our clients and our firm,” Chan said. “Our team will work to solidify our leadership in financial communications in the market and continue to bring our creativity and best ideas to our ever-diversifying portfolio of clients in Hong Kong.”
- “Rachel is one of Greater China's most accomplished financial and corporate communications experts and a proven, well-rounded leader who has made significant contributions to our firm for more than eight years,” said John Morgan, president and CEO, H+K Strategies Asia. “She's built a client portfolio comprising many of the region's most respected and successful companies, whose businesses have helped to shape diverse sectors across Asia and around the world. As managing director, I'm confident she'll lead our Hong Kong operations to even greater heights by further diversifying the communications and consulting services we provide to clients.”
New title: Deputy managing director, Hong Kong
- Lam joined H+K Strategies in 2008 and has more than 20 years of experience in the corporate, marketing, technology and financial communications areas. He has held positions in corporations and agencies after starting his career as a journalist.
- “We have a critical mass of established expertise here in the Hong Kong office, and I look forward to working with my colleagues and leaders throughout the firm to leverage that expertise to bring strategic value to our clients,” Lam said.
- “As deputy managing director,” Morgan said, “K.W. will work alongside Rachel to co-lead our business, service clients and mentor our staff. It's always been important for us to nurture and recognize our best talent to create the strongest leaders in the industry. This commitment is a win-win in the truest sense.”
New Title: President, South Asia
- Shapoorjee joined IPAN in March 2007 as vice president and was elevated to lead the firm as president in March 2008. In 2009, she was instrumental in the integration of IPAN with Hill+Knowlton Strategies.
- “I am delighted and truly privileged to chart out and drive the next phase of growth for IPAN Hill+Knowlton Strategies in the region. I will also be looking at strategic business acquisitions that will expand and enhance our role in the communications industry in the region,“ Shapoorjee said. “The communications industry is at an inflection point, where clients are realizing the increasing power and relevance of public relations. Our local knowledge and experience, infused with international talent and experience, will go a long way in enhancing our product offering and help clients realize their strategic communications objectives. I give Sara a warm Indian welcome and look forward to a great partnership ahead to realize the full potential of India for our firm in the region.”
New title: COO, India
- Gourlay joined H+K Strategies London office in May 2000 as associate director. She became a Board Director in the UK in 2003 and transferred from the UK operation in 2005 to become general manager in Qatar. Gourlay then took on a client services director role across Asia. She was based in Singapore from June 2010 before transferring to Dubai in January 2012 to continue in this role across Africa, India, the Middle East and Turkey, particularly focusing on clients in India.
- "India is a magical, intoxicating and absorbing country, and the opportunity to play a role in driving our business forward in that market is compelling,” Gourlay said. “We have an established team of bright, engaged professionals and an established heritage of excellence in market, and we are looking to build on that to increase our offer for India at a pivotal point in the country's history. On a personal note, I look forward to being a part of the IPAN team, a team that has always impressed me with its drive, commitment and ambition."
Hill+Knowlton Strategies, Inc.