Press release from CNW Group
Not 'Kidding' Around. Canadian Tire Jumpstart Asks Canadians to Dedicate Month of May to Helping Kids Play
Wednesday, May 01, 2013
Not 'Kidding' Around. Canadian Tire Jumpstart Asks Canadians to Dedicate Month of May to Helping Kids Play09:00 EDT Wednesday, May 01, 2013
Campaign Aims to Raise $1.5 Million to Help Kids Participate in Organized Sport
TORONTO, May 1, 2013 /CNW/ - Today, Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities kicks off the month long Red Ball campaign, urging Canadians to help get kids off the sidelines and into the game. For the month of May, the coast-to-coast effort aims to raise $1.5 million in customer donations, culminating with the fifth annual Jumpstart Day on Saturday, May 25, 2013.
One in three Canadian families cannot afford to enrol their children in organized sports or recreational activities and Jumpstart helps by reducing financial barriers. During the month of May, Canadians are encouraged to make a $2 donation in exchange for a Jumpstart red ball at Canadian Tire Retail, Mark's, Sport Chek, Atmosphere and Gas+ locations. Additionally, all funds raised through the campaign stay in the community and go towards benefitting local children.
"It's hard to imagine that the number of children in Canada who can't afford to get in the game is more than the entire population of New Brunswick," said Johnny Misley, President, Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities. "We help families in communities across the country by covering costs like equipment, registration and transportation. We also lend support to unique initiatives aimed at increasing access to sport and recreational programs."
Over the past eight years, Jumpstart has helped more than 570,000 (and counting) kids across Canada: "All children deserve a chance to play and Canadians can make a real difference by picking up a red ball and making a donation during the month of May," continued Misley.
Leading up to Jumpstart Day on May 25, participating stores and partners will host local events across the country:
- Trampoline Day with Rosie MacLennan: Canadian Tire customers can spend the afternoon with Olympic Gold Medalist Rosie MacLennan. Rosie will demonstrate her moves and kids will have a chance to try their own tricks on trampolines set-up by Springfree™ Trampoline. Customers can also meet Rosie, have an autograph signed and photo taken. The event will be held at the Canadian Tire store at 1608 The Queensway, Etobicoke, ON, on Saturday, May 4, at 11:00 am.
- Sport Chek and Atmosphere Stores: This year Jumpstart is proud to welcome Sport Chek and Atmosphere stores (English market), to the family. Throughout the month of May, customers can make a $2 donation in return for a little red ball at Sport Chek and Atmosphere locations.
- Pita Pit: Jumpstart has received support from beyond the enterprise family and for the second year in the row Pita Pit locations across Canada will support the red ball campaign. Canadians can visit their nearby Pita Pit throughout the month of May and on Jumpstart Day to make a $2 donation in exchange for a red ball and receive a coupon for $1 off their next Pita Pit purchase.
- Buffalo Wild Wings: All Buffalo Wild Wings locations across Canada will dedicate every Wednesday in May to the Jumpstart campaign. The "Eat Wings Raise Funds" event asks customers to bring in a coupon from the restaurants' website and Buffalo Wild Wings will make a donation to Jumpstart.
- Jumpstart Day at Canadian Tire Stores: At participating Canadian Tire stores across the country, on Saturday, May 25, customers can take part in a variety of fun activities including charity barbeques or GoClean waterless car washes.
About Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities
Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities is a national charitable program dedicated to providing financially disadvantaged kids with the opportunity to experience the benefits of organized sport and recreation. With an extensive, national network of more than 332 local chapters, Jumpstart helps kids in communities across Canada by covering the costs associated with registration, equipment and/or transportation.
Supported by the Canadian Tire Family of Companies, which includes Canadian Tire Retail, PartSource, Gas+, Sport Chek, Atmosphere, Mark's and Canadian Tire Financial Services, Jumpstart has enabled more than 570,000 Canadian kids and counting to get in the game since 2005. For more information or to lend your support, visit jumpstart.canadiantire.ca.
Follow us on:
SOURCE: CANADIAN TIRE CORPORATION, LIMITED
For further information:
For further information or to schedule an interview, please contact:
Canadian Tire Corporation