Press release from CNW Group
Need a Source? eBay reports top-shopped Star Wars items in celebration of Star Wars Day
Thursday, May 02, 2013
Need a Source? eBay reports top-shopped Star Wars items in celebration of Star Wars Day07:00 EDT Thursday, May 02, 2013
Speak with eBay Canada's Megan Vickell
TORONTO, May 2, 2013 /CNW/ - In a galaxy far, far away - and also here on Earth - Star Wars fans and followers around the world will be celebrating the legendary series on Saturday, May 4th for Star Wars Day. Star Wars fans are some of the most dedicated in the world, famous for collecting memorabilia at any cost. In fact, a Star Wars item is purchased every 4 minutes on eBay in Canada!
There is extra reason to celebrate Star Wars Day this year, as May 25 also marks the 30th anniversary of the sixth film in the franchise, Return of the Jedi.
To show just how much Canadians love Star Wars, eBay expert Megan Vickell, is available to speak to purchasing trends from Star Wars enthusiasts that buy and sell from the world's largest online marketplace. Some of the trends and statistics Megan can speak to include:
- One of the most expensive Star Wars items bought on eBay in 2012 was a 2007 2nd edition LEGO Millennium Falcon - It sold for $12,500!
- Canadians purchased over $3.5 million worth of Star Wars items from eBay in 2012
- On-the-go fans purchased over 4,400 Star Wars items using eBay Mobile
- Last year, more than 43,000 Star Wars action figures were purchased on eBay
- The battle continues! There were approximately equal numbers of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader action figures purchased by Canadians on eBay.ca, followed by Boba Fett!
* All data based on eBay purchases by Canadians from January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012, including all Star Wars related items.
Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay Inc. connects millions of buyers and sellers globally on a daily basis through eBay, the world's largest online marketplace, and PayPal, which enables individuals and businesses to securely, easily, and quickly send and receive online payments. We also reach millions through specialized marketplaces such as StubHub, the world's largest ticket marketplace, and eBay Classifieds sites, which together have a presence in more than 1,000 cities around the world. In Canada, eBay was visited by more than 8.2 million Canadians in December 2012 (comScore Media Metrix).
SOURCE: eBay Canada
For further information:
To arrange an interview, please contact:
Jennifer Zed / Megan Vickell
Edelman / eBay Canada
(416) 849-2839 / (416) 934-2028
(647) 309-1762 (Weekend cell)
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org