Press release from Business Wire
Barnes & Noble Opening New Store in Indianapolis, Indiana
<p class='bwalignc'> <b>New Bookstore Debuts May 22, Featuring More Than 60,000 Books, Expanded Children's Department, Educational Toys & Games, and a NOOK Boutique™</b> </p> <p class='bwalignc'> </p>
Thursday, May 09, 2013
Barnes & Noble Opening New Store in Indianapolis, Indiana08:30 EDT Thursday, May 09, 2013
NEW YORK (Business Wire) -- Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced the debut of a new bookstore on May 22 in The Shops at River Crossing shopping center, 8675 N. River Crossing Blvd., in Indianapolis, IN. Concurrently, the existing Clearwater Crossing store at 3748 E 82nd Street will close. The one-story location will include a vast sales floor of more than 60,000 books, newsstand titles, gifts and DVDs, a NOOK Boutique showcasing the company's family of award-winning NOOK Readers and Tablets, a new Educational Toys & Games Department, and a Café featuring Starbucks® coffee. The Indianapolis Barnes & Noble will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Sunday. The store will serve the greater Indianapolis, IN, market and employ approximately 50 people from the community.
As part of the Grand Opening celebration, the new Indianapolis Barnes & Noble is hosting a Friends and Family Preview Night on Tuesday, May 21, from 6:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. A portion of the proceeds from Preview Night will benefit the Indianapolis Public Schools. The event will feature a “Race Day” theme in anticipation of the Indianapolis 500 taking place the weekend after the store opening. In addition to a ribbon-cutting ceremony with local dignitaries, the store will provide multiple “Pit Stop” stations throughout the store where customers can taste food and beverages from the Barnes & Noble Café. Musical performances by students from the Shortridge Magnet High School's Jazz Ensemble and a special Storytime featuring costumed characters from The Cat in the Hat and Olivia will entertain the entire family.
“We are thrilled to open a new store in The Shops at River Crossing,” said David Deason, Vice President, Development. “Joining the many acclaimed merchants and restaurants, The Shops at River Crossing offers Barnes & Noble a wonderful opportunity to provide the community with a vast selection of books, educational toys and games, and our innovative family of NOOK Readers and Tablets, supported by extraordinary customer service for which Barnes & Noble is known. Our booksellers are excited to continue to serve the community in our new location—and recommend great reads and create memorable experiences with a new and exciting store in a fantastic location.”
The new Indianapolis Barnes & Noble will feature:
- Large-Scale Children's and Teen Departments. Bigger than most typical bookstores and stocking more than 12,000 titles in an easy-to-browse environment, the Children's Department is designed to appeal to children, parents, teachers and librarians. The expansive Teens section features more than 3,000 titles specially selected to appeal to the reading interests of young adults. The Children's Department will also host a weekly Storytime every Saturday at 11:00 a.m. and other events featuring guest readers and costumed characters.
- Giant Newsstand. The store's Newsstand stocks thousands of magazines, including hundreds of imported magazines, specialty titles, as well as a wide selection of newspapers and popular bestselling comic series. The newsstand will also feature a one-of-a-kind mural of historic Indianapolis icons.
- NOOK Boutique. Barnes & Noble welcomesNOOK customers to shop for our award-winning family of NOOK devices, including our new NOOK ® HD and NOOK ® HD+. Our knowledgeable team of NOOK expertswillanswer any questions and provide immediate, in-person support. The NOOK Boutique will also feature our outstanding collection of must-have NOOK accessories including designer covers and functional essentials to complete the experience. Also, to help our customers learn more about NOOK features and benefits, the store will host a weekly NOOK class.
- NOOK Support. Tailored NOOK demonstrations and purchasing programs are available. NOOK Nights will be held every Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. and NOOK Training classes will be held every Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m.
- Educational Toys & Games Department. Barnes & Noble features the world's smartest selection of curated educational toys and games at great values to encourage early childhood development and a lifelong love of learning and reading. This department also offers a vast assortment of games and puzzles specially selected for teens and adults at unbeatable prices to satisfy our customers' diverse interests.
- B&N@School. The B&N@School Department features educational tools and resources for teachers, librarians and parents. Educators are also offered 20% off merchandise for classroom use through Barnes & Noble's Educator Program.
- Community Center. This store will serve as a local community center, hosting a number of community-oriented events throughout the year, including author signings and discussions, book clubs and programs with local literary and cultural organizations, and other annual events such as the Summer Reading program and the Holiday Book Drive. The Business Development Department will also help local educators and businesses fulfill their needs through Bookfairs, and digital needs through NOOK in Education and NOOK in Business. Please contact Chris Morehead at (317) 816 -1410 for further details.
- Barnes & Noble Café Featuring Starbucks Coffee and Cheesecake Factory Bakery ® Products. Relax and enjoy delicious food and drinks in a welcoming Café setting, including Starbucks beverages, desserts from the Cheesecake Factory Bakery, fresh-baked cookies and scones, soup, sandwiches, pizza, quiche and more.
- The Barnes & Noble Membership Program. Designed for Barnes & Noble's best customers, this program gives Members 40% off hardcover bestsellers and 10% off virtually everything else in Barnes & Noble stores and online at BN.com. Members also benefit from free express shipping on all online purchases at BN.com. The annual fee is $25.
- Rapid Special-Order Service. Can't find it on the shelf? Barnes & Noble's massive warehouse inventory is available in real time, enabling its booksellers to order and confirm the availability of over 1 million titles at the click of a button.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi Service. Browse & download books, magazines, & newspapers in seconds, & easily check email via the free AT&T Wi-Fi® connection offered at all Barnes & Noble stores. NOOK owners receive extra perks such as coupons and exclusive content from top authors when they connect their device to our complimentary Wi-Fi through our More in Store program.
- Special Events. “Sunday Funday” will occur once per month and will kick off on Sunday, June 16, for a Father's Day-themed Storytime with treats from the Café. Every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m., the store will be offering a new event called “New Release Night” featuring booksellers presenting all of the new releases for the week and previewing upcoming bestsellers. If you are looking for something new and exciting to read, this weekly event is the ticket to finding your next favorite book!
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. The company operates 677 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web's largest e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com). Its NOOK Media LLC subsidiary is a leader in the emerging digital reading and digital education markets. The NOOK digital business offers award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store™ (www.nook.com), while Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC operates 678 bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. Barnes & Noble is proud to be named a J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Customer Service Champion and is only one of 50 U.S. companies so named. Barnes & Noble.com is ranked the number one online retailer in customer satisfaction in the book, music and video category and a Top 10 online retailer overall in customer satisfaction according to ForeSee E-Retail Satisfaction Index (Spring Top 100 Edition).
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.
Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Alan McNamara, 212-633-3379
Amy Cianfrone, 212-633-3579