Press release from Business Wire
Staples Survey Reveals the Most Trusted Person in Businesses is the Office Administrator, Not the Boss
<p class='bwalignc'> <i><b>Thought of as a Superhero by Fellow Employees, Admins are Considered Team Players and Morale-Boosters</b></i> </p>
Monday, April 22, 2013
Staples Survey Reveals the Most Trusted Person in Businesses is the Office Administrator, Not the Boss08:03 EDT Monday, April 22, 2013
FRAMINGHAM, Mass. (Business Wire) -- In honor of National Administrative Professionals' Day on April 24, a Staples survey reveals that office administrators play a key role in boosting employee morale, often more than the boss. Two-thirds of non-admin respondents report the admin is the biggest team player in the office (66% vs. 49.6% for the boss) and are nearly twice as better than the boss at boosting employee morale. Perhaps, this is why more than half of all respondents report that office administrators are under-compensated.
The Staples online poll also reveals:
- The majority of non-admin respondents said the administrative assistant is the most trusted office employee, ahead of the boss (32.3%) and human resources (11.1%). Admin loyalty is far reaching too, with more than one-third of admins saying they have “covered up” for their boss, and 1 out of 5 reporting this happens on a weekly basis or more frequently.
- More than half (58.8%) of non-admin respondents agree the admin has “super-human” powers, and the majority of admins report they coordinate difficult schedules and manage everything from HR issues to office supplies.
- Ellen DeGeneres is the most sought-after celebrity boss, with nearly 70 percent of respondents choosing her as the celebrity they'd most like to work for as an admin for the day.
- The survey also found that the workload for administrative assistants is growing. Seventy percent of admins say the number of people they support has increased over 2012. That compares to only 30 percent who reported that last year.
“The majority of respondents described office administrators as the superhero who can ‘save the day,'” said Mike Edwards, Staples executive vice president, merchandising. “Staples is proud to help recognize administrative professionals who ‘come to the rescue' and the key role they play in supporting companies of all sizes.”
According to the survey, more than 1 in 3 businesses plan to recognize the “office VIP” on National Administrative Professionals' Day. To help celebrate the administrative assistant, Staples offers a wide variety of gift options, including: the customizable ARC notebook system in beautiful colors and Avant™ pens, or more ergonomically-friendly gifts such as the Staples Acadia chair to help admins sit in comfort all day long. Staples also offers specialty gifts, like cheese platters, or, if companies really want to show their appreciation, they can give their admin an award from Staples. Staples gift cards and egift cards are also popular and convenient options, allowing the recipient to choose from thousands of available products.
To help celebrate and recognize National Administrative Professionals' Day, Staples is teaming up with celebrity administrative assistants, plus small business expert Melinda Emerson (@SmallBizLady), Vera Sweeney of Lady and the Blog (@VeraSweeney) and Lindsey Holder (@SavvyAssistants), as they all host a special Twitter Party on April 24 from 1-2 p.m. (EDT) for National Administrative Professionals' Day. Follow @Staples and use #CelebrateAdmins hashtag to join the conversation and enter to win great prizes, including great tech items and office products. Celebrity assistants participating include:
- Tami Olin (@TamiOlin), assistant to country legend and Dancing with the Stars contestant Wynonna Judd
- Tiffany Rinehart (@TiffanyRinehart), assistant to Kathy Griffin, known for My Life on the D-List and Kathy
- Sarah Knight (@SarahK_LA), assistant to Giuliana Rancic, E! News anchor
- Rachel Federoff (@RachelFederoff) and Omar Berumen (@BerumenO), assistants to Patti Stanger of Millionaire Matchmaker
About the Survey
The Staples.com #CelebrateAdmins Survey was launched on Staples Twitter handle March 27, 2013. The survey closed April 10, 2013 and received 562 responses.
Staples is the world's largest office products company and second largest internet retailer. For 26 years, Staples has served the needs of business customers and its vision is to provide every product businesses need to succeed. Through its world-class retail, online and delivery capabilities, Staples offers office supplies, technology products and services, facilities and breakroom supplies, furniture, copy and print services and a wide range of other product categories. With thousands of associates worldwide dedicated to making it easy for businesses of all sizes, Staples operates throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. The company is headquartered outside Boston. More information about Staples (Nasdaq: SPLS) is available at www.staples.com.
Mark Cautela, 508-253-3832