Press release from Business Wire
New 3M Paint Defender System Offers Invisible Paint Protection in Easy-to-Use Spray
<p class='bwalignc'> <i>3M Innovation Transforms Liquid into Clear, Durable Film For Added Barrier Against Everyday Wear and Tear</i> </p>
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
New 3M Paint Defender System Offers Invisible Paint Protection in Easy-to-Use Spray11:14 EDT Tuesday, April 30, 2013
ST. PAUL, Minn. (Business Wire) -- 3M, the market leader in professionally applied protection films, is disrupting the traditional notions of vehicle paint protection. The new 3M™ Paint Defender System harnesses the power of 3M technology by spraying on as a liquid before transforming into a clear, durable film. The addition of Paint Defender to 3M's current line of professionally applied films provides consumers with a variety of price and performance options to select from. The added barrier serves as a lasting line of defense against everyday hazards on the road, such as road chips, that threaten vehicle appearance.
This system is the latest innovation from the company's Automotive Aftermarket Division and embodies 3M's broad expertise in polymers, weathering, adhesives and films.
3M Science and Innovation: Transforming an Idea into an Effective Solution
The 3M™ Paint Defender System formula started as a way to temporarily preserve vehicles during transport from the factory to the dealer. The original solution, developed by a curious 3M employee, addressed a fear among dealers about damage to their vehicles' exteriors before they left the lot.
3M experts collaborated over the course of the next two years to evolve the initial formula. What started out as murky, brush-on “goo” transformed into today's Paint Defender System that addresses a broader consumer need. Highlights included:
- Invisible: Scientists tweaked 248 different test formulas over the course of eight months before landing on a winning chemical balance that offered 100% clarity and a seamless finish.
- Easy Application: Months of advanced adhesives exploration yielded a unique aerosol delivery system that allows both the novice and experienced customers to feel comfortable using themselves.
- Durable: Product developers pursued extensive in-house testing to determine the film's durability using world-renowned research facilities, industry standard yet proprietary weathering systems, and gravelometer impact tests under ASTM-D3170.
- Removable: Collaborative teams refined the formula's compatibility and concentration elements to achieve a thin film that was thick enough to protect, but also removable.
3M Leadership: Introducing Paint Protection Film to an Automotive End User Audience
“Over 90 percent of vehicles on the road don't have paint protection,” said Adam Wilt, Global Business Manager, 3M Auto Care. “Our goal was to create a solution that was smart, accessible, and convenient. Now, consumers can take simple steps from their driveway to help keep vehicles looking newer for longer.”
The 3M™ Paint Defender System applies in three easy steps using a unique spray trigger designed for ease and comfort. The end result protects vehicles for at least one year from elements across the country, like love bugs in Florida, sand in Arizona, winter road grime in the Northeast and Midwest, and paint chip-causing debris anywhere. It also removes cleanly when the time comes to add a new layer.
The three application steps include:
- STEP 1: Mask the vehicle with the 3M™ Paint Defender Application Kit to frame the desired area to protect
- STEP 2: Wax the masked area prior to spraying so it's easier to remove the film when desired
- STEP 3: Spray film over the masked area using the 3M™ Paint Defender Spray Trigger
The 3M™ Paint Defender System consists of three products – 3M™ Paint Defender Spray Film (PN90000), 3M™ Paint Defender Application Kit (PN90200), 3M™ Paint Defender Spray Trigger (PN90201) – that are low in odor and water-based for easy cleanup. Each product is sold separately, but all three are recommended for best results.
The number of spray cans required depends on the surface to be protected. The 3M™ Paint Defender System is available at AutoZone and Amazon starting early May for a retail price of $44.99 USD.
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $30 billion in sales, 3M employs about 88,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 70 countries. For more information, visit www.3M.com or follow @3MNews on Twitter.
3M is a trademark of 3M Company.
Cohn & Wolfe for 3M
Alexandra Bocci, 212-798-9707