Press release from Business Wire
AWS Direct Connect Service Now Available in Equinix Seattle Data Centers
<p class='bwalignc'> <i><b>Equinix customers can now access AWS Direct Connect service in six Equinix locations around the world</b></i> </p>
Thursday, May 09, 2013
AWS Direct Connect Service Now Available in Equinix Seattle Data Centers08:00 EDT Thursday, May 09, 2013
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (Business Wire) -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the availability of the AWS Direct Connect service in the Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in Seattle (SE2 and SE3). AWS Direct Connect enables customers to connect their infrastructure directly to Amazon Web Services (AWS), establishing a private network connection to reduce network costs, increase throughput, and deliver more consistent network performance than the public internet delivers. In addition, Equinix customers can now connect to the AWS GovCloud (US) from all existing AWS Direct Connect locations in North America.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Existing Equinix customers can connect to AWS Direct Connect inside the Seattle data centers via a simple cross-connect that can be established in a matter of days. With a direct connection to AWS inside SE2 and SE3, customers can achieve millisecond latency between their infrastructure and AWS infrastructure, resulting in improved application performance and security.
- Equinix customers can also use AWS Direct Connect to access the AWS GovCloud (US) region from all existing AWS Direct Connect locations in North America. AWS GovCloud (US) is designed to allow US government agencies and customers to move more sensitive workloads into the cloud by addressing their specific regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Since the roll out of AWS Direct Connect in Equinix's Ashburn, Virginia data center campus, AWS Direct Connect has expanded to Equinix locations in Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney and Tokyo. Equinix customers such as Badgeville, Box, Carpathia Hosting and NetApp are using AWS Direct Connect to lower network costs into and out of AWS, bypassing the public internet.
- Using AWS Direct Connect, Badgeville deployed a hybrid IT model within Equinix IBX data centers. As a result, Badgeville gained control of its own infrastructure and achieved performance increases of up to 40 percent, faster API response times and a reduction in monthly cloud expenditure of approximately 40 percent.
- Equinix opened its second Seattle data center (SE3) earlier this year to support growing demand for data center and interconnection services in Seattle metro area from network and cloud service providers, and content and digital media companies. The SE3 IBX serves as a gateway to Asia Pacific and offers customers the opportunity to extend their footprint in the Northwestern United States and Western Canada while leveraging Platform Equinix™ to help fuel their business.
- Chris Sharp, general manager, cloud and content for Equinix:
“By leveraging AWS Direct Connect inside Equinix data centers, customers can take advantage of the cost savings and performance benefits of hybrid environments. As we continue to support expansion of the AWS Direct Connect service to new markets, we are removing barriers to adoption and enabling customers to deliver on the promise of cloud computing.”
- Jim Grogan, senior analyst, Multi-Tenant Data Centers, The451Group.com:
“As the cloud matures and supports greater numbers of mission-critical production workloads, data center providers like Equinix will be viewed increasingly as the strategic facilitators of enterprise-class production services. Each aspect of the cloud services facilitated by Equinix ultimately map back to network capabilities, whether it relates to bringing data to the network or leveraging cloud or Ethernet connection hubs.”
- About Equinix and Amazon Web Services
- SE3 blog post and data center photos
- Case study: Badgeville
- Press Release: Box Chooses Platform Equinix
- AWS blog: Connect in Seattle, Connect to GovCloud
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world's most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 31 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contacts
Melissa Neumann, +1 650-598-6098
GolinHarris for Equinix, Inc.
Liam Rose, +1 415-318-4380
Equinix Investor Contacts
Katrina Rymill, +1 650-598-6583
Samir Patodia, +1 650-598-6587