Press release from Business Wire
IFF Publishes Sustainability Report with Long-Term Aspirational Goals to Reduce Carbon, Energy and Water Use and Waste by More Than 20 Percent by 2020
Thursday, June 27, 2013
IFF Publishes Sustainability Report with Long-Term Aspirational Goals to Reduce Carbon, Energy and Water Use and Waste by More Than 20 Percent by 202016:20 EDT Thursday, June 27, 2013
NEW YORK (Business Wire) -- International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE: IFF), a leading global creator of flavors and fragrances for consumer products, announced the publication of its latest annual sustainability report, detailing its ongoing commitment to corporate, social and environmental responsibility. The report, Moving Forward, describes IFF's accomplishments in the area of sustainability for its worldwide operations for the calendar year 2012.
“I believe we are on the right path to create a lasting influence over how we do business by keeping the Triple Bottom Line in the forefront of our thinking,” said Doug Tough, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “By working on a global level, we consistently focus on our goals to reduce carbon emissions, waste, energy and water use by 20+ percent by 2020.”
Nicolas Mirzayantz, Group President, Fragrances and the Company's Executive Sustainability Champion, said “There's a well-known proverb – if you want to go fast, go alone; if you want to go far, go together. By working with our employees, customers, suppliers and communities we are actively moving forward and making a difference together, as evidenced by the significant progress we made in 2012 in executing our sustainability strategy.”
The report describes the progress IFF has made in each of its four sustainability pillars, which are closely aligned with the Company's long-term business strategy:
- Our Products: Creating innovative customer solutions
- Our Impact: Strengthening our eco-efficiency and community relationships
- Our Sources: Sourcing responsibly
- Our People: Engaging and inspiring our employees
“We continue to refine our strategy and embed sustainable business practices throughout the organization,” said Kip Cleverley, Director of Global Sustainability. “We are expanding responsibility for sustainability beyond our own operations to our entire value chain.”
The report includes detailed information about IFF's 2012 sustainability performance, including:
- The continuing reduction of carbon emissions, waste, energy and water use.
- The introduction of Natural Ethics Vanilla™, which ensures the purchase of vanilla from farmers who adhere to strict sustainability guidelines.
- The formal adoption of green chemistry principles and green chemistry training.
- Doubled the number of IFF's major suppliers registered with Supplier Ethical Data Exchange (SEDEX).
- Expanded Health & Wellness initiatives such as the introduction of a new umbrella brand, FlavorFit™.
- The expansion of a pioneering olfactotherapy treatment program, which uses fragrance to help patients regain memories and speech ability after trauma or coma.
The report was prepared using the G3.1 guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the global standard for such reporting, and has obtained an Application Level Check of B+. Digital and downloadable versions of the full report and the GRI Content Index are available for viewing at the company's web site at www.iff.com/company/sustainability.aspx.
International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE: IFF) is a leading global creator of flavors and fragrances used in a wide variety of consumer products. Consumers experience these unique scents and tastes in fine fragrances and beauty care, detergents and household goods, as well as beverages, sweet goods and food products. The Company leverages its competitive advantages of consumer insight, research and development, creative expertise, and customer intimacy to provide customers with innovative and differentiated product offerings. A member of the S&P 500 Index, IFF has approximately 5,800 employees working in 32 countries worldwide. For more information, please visit our website at www.iff.com.
Media ? Fragrances
Denise Gillen, 212-515-7308
Media - Flavors
Micaela Mordkowski, 212-708-7211
Shelley Young, 212-708-7271