Press release from CNW Group
National Bank Continues to Deploy Support Measures for Lac-Mégantic
Friday, July 12, 2013
National Bank Continues to Deploy Support Measures for Lac-Mégantic16:13 EDT Friday, July 12, 2013
MONTREAL, July 12, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - Further to the train derailment that took place last Saturday in LacMégantic, National Bank is hard at work helping its clients and the residents of this community devastated by the explosions. Bank executives, including Diane Giard, Executive Vice-President - Personal and Commercial Banking, were on site to ensure that operations were running smoothly and clients' needs were being met quickly.
"About 100 employees of National Bank and its suppliers are working hard to minimize the effects of these events for victims, whether onsite, from the head office or branches in the Eastern Townships or Beauce. Our thoughts are with all the families affected by the Lac-Mégantic disaster. We are doing everything in our power to make these circumstances less difficult for them, and help the region's economy get back on its feet quickly," stated Louis Vachon, President and Chief Executive Officer of National Bank.
Today, National Bank is announcing new measures, in addition to those already implemented since last weekend:
- This Friday, a new temporary branch will open its doors at the Carrefour Lac-Mégantic shopping centre (3560 Laval St., Suite 155, Lac-Mégantic). As soon as it opens, it will provide all regular Bank services: transaction and advisory services, ABMs, and others. Advisors will also be onsite to assist clients. This branch will take over from the branch on Frontenac Street, which remains part of the security zone.
- The services of the National Bank Financial branch are being provided by the St-Georges-de-Beauce branch until further notice.
- No transaction fees will be charged for 4 weeks for Personal Banking clients with packages, and Commercial Banking clients of the Lac-Mégantic branch.
- Accelerated processing of financing applications,to support the development of businesses in the region, which will also benefit from the proximity and expert advisory services of our Account Managers.
- Special banking treatment for the Town of Lac-Mégantic, based any needs that may arise when the situation stabilizes.
Measures already in effect:
- Mobile branch,set up since Sunday on the grounds of Polyvalente Montignac school (3409 Laval St. in Lac-Mégantic), including three ABMs and advisors to assist clients during this difficult time.
- Banking fee exemption for all non-clients who use National Bank ABMs in Lac-Mégantic.
- Various special measures, including payment deferrals, to help its clients affected by this disaster (on a case-by-case basis). For more information, clients can call customer service at 1-888-483-5628 or go to the National Bank Hub (mobile bank). An intervention plan has also been set up to handle any claims from National Bank Insurance clients.
Donations to the Red Cross
On Saturday, July 6, National Bank announced that it was donating 50,000 dollars to the Canadian Red Cross to help victims of the Lac-Mégantic disaster.
Since Monday, July 8, the Bank has also been collecting donations from the public as part of fundraising efforts organized in all branches across Canada, and it will continue to do so until August 9, 2013.
Cheques and donations should be made out to the Canadian Red Cross, Lac-Mégantic Explosion. The Red Cross will issue tax receipts for all donations of $10 and over. All donations collected through National Bank branches will be remitted to the Red Cross and used to provide immediate assistance to the victims.
About National Bank of Canada
With $185 billion in assets as at April 30, 2013, National Bank of Canada (www.nbc.ca), together with its subsidiaries, forms one of Canada's leading integrated financial groups, and was named among the 20 strongest banks in the world by Bloomberg Markets. The Bank has close to 20,000 employees and is widely recognized as a top employer. Its securities are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: NA). Follow the Bank's activities via social media and learn more about its extensive community involvement at clearfacts.ca and commitment.nationalbank.ca.
Image with caption: "National Bank Hub (mobile bank) set up since Sunday on the grounds of Polyvalente Montignac school (3409 Laval St. in Lac-Mégantic). (CNW Group/National Bank of Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130712_C7248_PHOTO_EN_28999.jpg
SOURCE: National Bank of Canada
For further information:
(The telephone number provided below is for the exclusive use of journalists and other media representatives.):
Chief Advisor - Public Affairs