Press release from CNW Group
24% of Quebecers are Planning to Staycation This Year
Monday, July 22, 2013
24% of Quebecers are Planning to Staycation This Year12:24 EDT Monday, July 22, 2013
Canadian Tire takes a deeper look at Quebecers' summer vacation habits
MONTREAL, July 22, 2013 /CNW/ - A recent Canadian Tire study shows that, while other Quebecer will travel in the province, across Canada or internationally, 24% choose to staycation, with the hopes of relaxing or tackling some jobs around the house. Indeed, families with small children, fewer vacation days and tighter budgets are increasingly choosing to enjoy their time off in the comfort of their own home all the while participating in fun summer activities. According to Canadian Tire's survey, popular activities amongst staycationers include barbequing (66%), biking (31%) and golfing (14%), leaving any jobs and chores for the weekends and long weekends.
Because not all Quebecers are planning on taking vacations this year, weekends and long weekends during the summer months become important times for them to enjoy some well-deserved R&R and to engage in those inevitable chores. The most popular weekend and long-weekend activities amongst Quebecers for summer 2013 are outdoor activities, both jobs and joys. Indeed, this year's most popular weekend and long-weekend activities amongst Quebecers include yard work (57%), outdoor entertaining and barbecuing with friends (54%) and outdoor family diners (50%).
With 43% of them planning to travel within the province, Quebecers will be depending heavily on their cars for their 2013 summer vacations. Indeed, 87% of those planning a vacation in North America will be travelling by car while 48% of vacationers and non-vacationers plan road trips on their summer weekends and long weekends.
''Now that Quebecers can finally enjoy some warm weather after a colder beginning to their summer, they are looking forward to popular summer activities as well as tackling some projects around the house, '' said Jean Parisien, Vice-President, Quebec, Canadian Tire. ''Whether Quebecers choose to travel, relax by the pool or perform indoor and outdoor home improvement projects, Canadian Tire is happy to provide them with new and innovative products to make the most of their summer vacations.''
Additional facts about Quebecers' summer vacation habits
- Among those planning a vacation this summer, the vast majority will be taking the last week of July (30%) and the first week of August (34%) off, a historically popular time in Quebec for taking vacation time.
- Amongst those travelling within the country, camping is a popular vacation activity. 35% of those travelling within Quebec and 39% of those travelling to other provinces say they will be camping.
- Quebecers living in rural areas are most likely to engage in car maintenance (38%) and garage/shed organization (33%) during their summer weekends and long weekends.
- An important 34% of Quebecers are planning to engage in outdoor home improvement projects during their weekends and long weekends this summer.
Tips and tricks from Canadian Tire for a delightful and successful summer vacation
Outdoor dining and entertaining
A personalized and multi-functional space allows you to maximize your time outdoors with family and friends and enjoy those hot summer days and nights.
- Find a patio set that works best for your space.
- Personalize your outdoor space with accessories.
- Take your casual family dinners and parties with friends to a new level with some gourmet barbecuing.
- If you have a backyard, turn it into a fun outdoor space that can be enjoyed by family and friends on weekends and for those who choose to staycation (play sets, inflatable slides, soccer and flag football equipment are some options for every household).
To make your trip as comfortable, functional and safe as possible, it's best to plan ahead, get organized and make sure you have a few essentials.
- Have your car checked by a certified technician before hitting the road
- Get organized by using storage solutions for road trip essentials like games, toys, snacks and drinks
- Keep the kids entertained with portable DVD players and favorite toys
- Keep the kids clean and safe with properly installed car seats and a good stock of wipes
- Use a GPS unit to navigate your way to your destination
- Equip your car with an emergency road kit and a set of tools in the trunk
Get the products you need to tackle the jobs and joys of summer vacationing at Canadian Tire. Visit www.canadiantire.ca and for more tips and tricks and check out Canadian Tire's digital catalogue, The Canadian Way http://catalogue.canadiantire.ca/.
About Canadian Tire Corporation
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited (TSX:CTC.a) (TSX:CTC) is a Family of Companies that includes Canadian Tire Retail, Partsource, Gas+, FGL Sports (Sport Chek, Hockey Experts, Sports Experts, National Sports, Intersport and Atmosphere), Mark's and Canadian Tire Financial Services. With more than 1,700 retail and gasoline outlets from coast-to-coast, our primary retail business categories - Automotive, Living, Fixing, Playing and Apparel - are supported and strengthened by our Financial Services division. Over 85,000 people are employed across the Canadian Tire enterprise, which was founded in 1922 and remains one of Canada's most recognized and trusted brands. For more information, visit www.Corp.CanadianTire.ca.
*These are some of the findings of a survey conducted between July 4th to July 15th, 2013 by Canadian Tire amongst its Consumer Research Panel. A total of 1,128 Quebecers were interviewed online. This results in a margin of error of approximately +/- 2.9% 19 times out of 20.
SOURCE CANADIAN TIRE CORPORATION, LIMITED
For further information:
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited