Press release from PR Newswire
Union Pacific Publishes 2012 Sustainability and Citizenship Report
Thursday, May 30, 2013
Union Pacific Publishes 2012 Sustainability and Citizenship Report16:00 EDT Thursday, May 30, 2013
Investments in operations and technology help reduce environmental impact
Goal-driven collaboration results in record employee safety, customer satisfaction and financial performance
OMAHA, Neb., May 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Union Pacific today published its 2012 Sustainability and Citizenship Report, underscoring the company's innovations in the areas of environmental stewardship, safe operations, employee well-being, community development and customer value, as well as its commitment to upholding the highest standards of corporate governance and ethics.
"Union Pacific's legacy of delivering the goods upon which Americans depend is rooted in our dedication to serve our customers, employees, communities and shareholders," said Robert W. Turner, Union Pacific senior vice president ? Corporate Relations. "Our employees share a responsibility to continue developing sustainable business practices, meeting the growing global demand for freight transportation solutions, while preserving our environment, strengthening our communities and being an employer of choice."
Following are highlights of Union Pacific's 2012 Sustainability and Citizenship Report, which is available in PDF and HTML formats at www.up.com.
- Union Pacific's customers eliminated an estimated 33.5 million metric tons of greenhouse gases by moving their products by rail instead of truck.
- The company diverted from landfills an estimated 75 percent of its waste.
- The railroad recycled more than 4.2 million gallons of oil and fuel.
- Union Pacific purchased 200 new fuel-efficient locomotives, replacing older, less fuel-efficient units.
- Employees achieved an all-time safety record for the fifth consecutive year.
- Customer satisfaction results reached a record high.
- Union Pacific promoted rail safety through paid media campaigns that reached an audience of more than 73 million people, and community outreach activities and training that connected with 704,000 people.
- The company hired approximately 3,900 employees, including more than 900 military veterans.
- Union Pacific increased its spending with women- and minority-owned suppliers by 16 percent compared to 2011.
- Union Pacific purchased goods or services from more than 500 diverse suppliers in 39 states.
- Union Pacific supported more than 2,500 non-profit organizations.
- Fortune named Union Pacific the most admired among trucking, transportation and logistics companies for the third consecutive year.
In formulating its 2012 Sustainability and Citizenship Report, Union Pacific considered the Global Reporting Initiative's 2011 G3.1 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines as a standard framework. Union Pacific's 2012 greenhouse gas inventory was verified by Conestoga-Rovers & Associates. The railroad works with Trinity Consultants to compile its greenhouse gas inventory. Conestoga-Rovers & Associates and Trinity Consultants are independent organizations.
About Union PacificUnion Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE: UNP). One of America's most recognized companies, Union Pacific Railroad links 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail, providing a critical link in the global supply chain. From 2007-2012, Union Pacific invested $18 billion in its network and operations to support America's transportation infrastructure, including a record $3.7 billion in 2012. The railroad's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Coal, Industrial Products and Intermodal. Union Pacific serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers, operates from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways. Union Pacific provides value to its roughly 10,000 customers by delivering products in a safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible manner.
Union Pacific media contact: Elizabeth Hutchison at 402-544-8433 or email@example.com
SOURCE Union Pacific