Press release from PR Newswire
Broadcom Boosts Performance of NAS Devices with New SoCs
Monday, June 03, 2013
Broadcom Boosts Performance of NAS Devices with New SoCs08:00 EDT Monday, June 03, 2013
StrataGX? Processors Deliver Hybrid Cloud Services to NAS Devices for Consumer and Small-to-Medium Businesses
TAIPEI, Taiwan, June 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- COMPUTEX
- ARM-based FlexSPARX? technology offloads processing from main CPU to accelerate storage performance
- Dual 6Gbps SATA rev 3.0 interfaces delivers high speed access to data
- Integrates processor, cryptographic accelerators, a Gigabit Ethernet switch, Gigabit Ethernet PHYs and PCIe connectivity for 5G WiFi
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a new line of high-performance processors for wired and wireless network attached storage (NAS) devices and routers. The StrataGX BCM5862X Series offers a 10x increase in performance with the ARM-based FlexSPARX engine,1 while integrating enhanced security and storage features to support hybrid cloud services. The new offering also delivers Gigabit connectivity speeds on wired and wireless connections with support for 5G WiFi, based on the latest IEEE 802.11ac standard. Broadcom will preview the technology at Computex in Taipei, Taiwan on June 4-8, 2013. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
With the latest consumer and small-to-medium business (SMB) NAS devices supporting secure hybrid cloud storage while enabling secure remote access of files or media content, the new StrataGX Series delivers highly secure anytime, anywhere access via a line-rate encrypted connection. More users are connecting to their content through a combination of cloud and personal storage, with Gartner predicting that by 2016, more than a third of consumers' digital content will be stored in the cloud. Broadcom's StrataGX devices deliver highly secure and faster connections to the cloud via a wired or wireless network to allow the rapid flow of multimedia information.
"Our latest StrataGX portfolio expansion integrates an innovative FlexSPARX engine along with dual SATA interfaces to address the unique requirements of NAS devices," said Ed Redmond, Broadcom Vice President and General Manager, Compute and Connectivity. "With our comprehensive StrataGX solution that includes reference security software and hardware acceleration features, we can now deliver secure access to consumer content -- whether stored in the cloud or stored locally in the home."
The StrataGX BCM5862X Series delivers the following key benefits:
- High-bandwidth storage interfaces include SATA and USB3 for local caching of cloud data
- Dual core ARM Cortex-A9 processors operate at 1.2 GHz
- Integrated Gigabit Ethernet switch and PHYs enable support of high-bandwidth applications
- Linux Development Kit (LDK), reference designs and standard open source software tools reduce engineering development and time-to-market
- Reference software that enables security acceleration for fast and secure access to multimedia, whether accessing content from the home or a remote location
- Pin compatibility with previous generations leverages customers' existing investments
AvailabilityThe BCM5862X Series is now sampling with volume production slated for 4Q 2013.
For ongoing Broadcom news, visit our Newsroom, read our B-Connected Blog, or visit us on Facebook or Twitter. And to stay connected, subscribe to our RSS Feed.
Resources 1As compared to previous generation StrataGX devices
About BroadcomBroadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo, and StrataGX? are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Public Relations Manager
Senior Director, Investor Relations
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Infrastructure & Networking