Press release from PR Newswire
Comcast Launches The X1 Platform From Xfinity In Greater Baltimore Area
Monday, June 17, 2013
Comcast Launches The X1 Platform From Xfinity In Greater Baltimore Area08:30 EDT Monday, June 17, 2013
X1 transforms traditional TV into integrated entertainment experience - complete with apps, personalization and social media tools, second-screen integration and more
BALTIMORE, June 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast, one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information, and communications products and services, today announced the launch of the X1 Platform from Xfinity in the Greater Baltimore area. Unlike any other video service available, X1 uses IP technology and cloud servers on Comcast's network to create the world's first entertainment operating system. X1 integrates the largest collection of video with social media features, interactive apps, web content and more in one easy-to-navigate, sleek viewing experience.
"X1 offers an entirely new and personalized way for our customers to experience their TV and entertainment," said Tom Coughlin, regional senior vice president for Comcast. "X1 transforms our video product from a hardware experience to a software experience, allowing us to deliver new features and functionality to our customers faster than ever before."
The launch of X1 in the Greater Baltimore area is part of Comcast's ongoing and evolving effort to take advantage of IP technology and the cloud to constantly bring new innovations to market.
X1 features currently include:
- A modern user interface that enables one-click access to programs and a highly visual guide to entertainment options and related information
- A personalized viewing experience with recommendations based on search input and previously watched shows and movies
- The ability to search simultaneously across live TV, Xfinity On Demand and DVR recordings ? and see the last nine programs watched across all services with a single tap on the remote control
- The ability to watch DVR recordings from any room in the house and simultaneously record up to four shows while watching another
- An expanding selection of tailored-for-TV apps, including social networking, traffic, weather, Pandora and a sports app to track multiple games at once and check the latest scores, standings, and schedules while watching a favorite show
- The ability to fling a Web page, like one that features streaming video, directly to the X1 set top box and view it on the big screen
- An enhanced remote control that offers greater responsiveness and does not require a line-of-sight connection to the set-top-box
In addition, the X1 Remote App lets customers use motions, gestures, and voice commands to control their TVs with their Apple handheld devices. So for example, customers can swipe their iPhones to page through the interactive TV guide and program personalized short-cuts and favorites ("Quick Links"); shake their device to pause Xfinity On Demand content; and use voice commands to navigate the guide and search for content.
X1 will initially be available to new Xfinity Triple Play customers in the Greater Baltimore area, and will become available to additional customers segments in the future. The X1 Platform is currently available in 13 markets and Comcast plans to launch the service in all remaining markets by the end of the year.
About Comcast Corporation:Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone provider to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates 30 news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
SOURCE Comcast Corporation
For further information: Alisha Martin, Comcast, 410.513.3155, Alisha_martin@cable.comcast.com