Press release from Business Wire
Liberty Global Reports Sustainability Success
<p> <b>Leading international cable operator publishes 2012 Corporate Responsibility Report</b> </p> <p> <b>Named for second year running to Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index</b> </p>
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Liberty Global Reports Sustainability Success17:15 EDT Wednesday, September 18, 2013
DENVER (Business Wire) -- Liberty Global plc (“Liberty Global” or the “Company”) (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) today published its 2012 Corporate Responsibility (CR) report and announced its continued inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index (DJSI), which tracks the performance of leading companies in terms of their economic, environmental, governance and social performance.
Our 2012 CR report entitled ‘Discovering New Possibilities' provides an overview of progress and achievements across Liberty Global during the year, and identifies some of the challenges that we have addressed along the way.
The report focuses on the most important CR issues as defined by the company and our key stakeholders. At the heart of our CR strategy is the core belief that everyone should be able to explore the exciting but often complex digital world in a safe and responsible manner. Accordingly, our efforts are concentrated in four main areas:
- Promoting a digital society
- Building trust with our customers
- Managing our environmental impacts
- Being a responsible business
- Our engagement in numerous projects to tackle the challenge of digital inclusion, including helping underprivileged families access the internet, providing seniors the skills they need to get online through programs like Internet Buttons, helping children discover science and innovation opportunities through our online Tech School platform.
- We sponsored Safer Internet Day for the seventh consecutive year and launched “Who are your kids talking to?” - an animation which helps parents understand the many challenges that their children are facing online.
- Our community investment totaled $10 million in 2012, a 26% increase compared to the prior year. Most of those funds were focused on promoting a digital society, education and young people.
- We embarked on Privacy by Design, a process that helps to ensure that privacy risks are taken into account at the design stage of every project. We also created a Global Information Security Forum to build a common information security framework and approach across our businesses.
- We are implementing a robust approach to assess the environmental and social performance of our suppliers worldwide.
Our 2012 CR report meets the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G3.1 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines at a GRI-checked Level B. This report represents a step up in disclosure from our first CR Report in 2011, which was a Level C report. GRI is an international non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive sustainability reporting framework that is widely used around the world.
Rick Westerman, Chairman of Liberty Global's Corporate Responsibility Committee said: “Our new CR report reflects our desire to pursue a sustainable approach to the expansion of digital markets and inclusive access, while responsibly serving the communities in which we operate. However, we know that unlocking economic, societal and environmental value cannot happen in isolation. All our futures – as corporate and individual citizens, as community members and contributors to society – are intrinsic to one another.”
“While we have plenty of work ahead to continue advancing our CR initiatives, we are proud to be included in the highly respected Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the second consecutive year in recognition of our achievements.”
Liberty Global's 2012 CR report can be accessed through www.libertyglobal.com/cr.
About Liberty Global
Liberty Global is the largest international cable company with operations in 14 countries. We connect people to the digital world and enable them to discover and experience its endless possibilities. Our market-leading triple-play services are provided through next-generation networks and innovative technology platforms that connected 24 million customers subscribing to 48 million television, broadband internet and telephony services at June 30, 2013.
Liberty Global's consumer brands include Virgin Media, UPC, Unitymedia, Kabel BW, Telenet and VTR. Our operations also include Chellomedia, our content division, Liberty Global Business Services, our commercial division and Liberty Global Ventures, our investment fund. For more information, please visit www.libertyglobal.com or contact:
Christopher Noyes +1 303.220.6693
Oskar Nooij +1 303.220.4218
John Rea +1 303.220.4238
Marcus Smith +44 20.7190.6374
Bert Holtkamp +31 20.778.9800
Hanne Wolf +1 303.220.6678