Press release from Business Wire
Citi Unveils Roster of ‘Team Citi' Athletes for Sochi 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
<p class='bwalignc'> <i><b>Citi Sponsors Nine Olympic and Paralympic Hopefuls and Legends</b></i> </p>
Friday, September 20, 2013
Citi Unveils Roster of ‘Team Citi' Athletes for Sochi 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games14:00 EDT Friday, September 20, 2013
NEW YORK (Business Wire) -- Citi, an official sponsor of Team USA, today announced its roster of ‘Team Citi' athletes for the 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Team Citi is comprised of nine Olympic and Paralympic, hopefuls and legends, representing a wide range of sports, including: alpine skiing, figure skating, ice hockey, luge, nordic combined, speed skating, Paralympic alpine skiing and sled hockey.
“We are extremely proud to welcome such an inspiring group of U.S. Olympic and Paralympic athletes to Team Citi,” said Citi CEO Michael Corbat. “Each of their journeys from ambition to achievement is unique yet they share an unwavering commitment to competitive excellence. It is a commitment that inspires us as we serve our clients and enable progress in communities across the country.”
The athletes of Team Citi were selected because they embody the spirit and mission of Citi's Team USA sponsorship program and are dedicated to inspiring the next generation of athletes.
Team Citi includes:
- Julie Chu, Three-time Olympian, silver (2002, 2010) and bronze (2006) medalist; ice hockey
- Billy Demong, Four-time Olympian, 2010 gold medalist Large Hill Individual Gunderson and silver medalist NC team; nordic combined
- Erin Hamlin, Two-time Olympian; luge
- Dan Jansen, Four-time Olympian, 1994 gold medalist 1000m; speed skating
- Ted Ligety, Two-time Olympian, 2006 gold medalist (combined); alpine skiing
- Evan Lysacek, Two-time Olympian, 2010 gold medalist; men's figure skating
- Alana Nichols, Three-time Paralympic team member (summer and winter), gold (2010, downhill sitting & giant slalom sitting; 2008, wheelchair basketball), silver (2010, super-G sitting) and bronze (2010, super combined sitting) medalist; Paralympic alpine skiing
- Rico Roman, Paralympic hopeful; sled hockey
- Picabo Street, Three-time Olympian, gold (1998, super-G) and silver (1994, downhill) medalist; alpine skiing
For more than 200 years, Citi's mission has been to enable progress and support clients on their journey from ambition to achievement. To mark its 200th anniversary, Citi was an official sponsor of Team USA in 2012 for the first time in the company's history. Earlier this year Citi and the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) announced that Citi will be an official partner of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Teams through 2016.
Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer
accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions.
Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with
a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer
banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities
brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management.
*Citi's USOC partnership and media rights include U.S. corporate and investment banking, retail banking and commercial banking.
Additional information may be found at www.citigroup.com | Twitter: @CitiEveryStep | YouTube: www.youtube.com/citi | Blog: http://citi.com/blog | Facebook: www.facebook.com/citi | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/citi
About the USOC
Founded in 1894 and headquartered in Colorado Springs, Colo., the U.S. Olympic Committee serves as both the National Olympic Committee and National Paralympic Committee for the United States. As such, the USOC is responsible for the training, entering and funding of U.S. teams for the Olympic, Paralympic, Youth Olympic, Pan American and Parapan American Games, while serving as a steward of the Olympic and Paralympic Movements throughout the country. For more information, visit TeamUSA.org.
Liz Fogarty, 212-559-0486
Matt McCullough, 212-642-7706
Lindsay Hogan, 719-866-4566