Press release from Marketwire
Capital Power Releases Its Corporate Responsibility Report
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Capital Power Releases Its Corporate Responsibility Report12:00 EDT Wednesday, August 13, 2014
EDMONTON, ALBERTA--(Marketwired - Aug. 13, 2014) -
Editor's Note: There is a photo associated with this release.
Capital Power (TSX:CPX) today released its 2013 Corporate Responsibility Report for the fifth consecutive year.
"In July 2014, we celebrated our fifth-year anniversary as Capital Power. Achieving this milestone takes sustained commitment, deliberate action, and teamwork across the entire corporation. Over the years, we have stayed true to our values and vision of being one of North America's most respected, reliable, and competitive power producers through our passion for our business, by working as a team with integrity, by putting safety first, and by enhancing shareholder value," said Capital Power President and CEO Brian Vaasjo.
"This report reflects the actions we take and the way we behave, every day - in our community, in our facilities, in our offices, and on our construction sites."
Earlier this year, Corporate Knights magazine recognized Capital Power as one of Canada's Best 50 Corporate Citizens for the fourth straight year.
Highlights from the report include:
- In 2013, we completed the purchase of our 50% ownership in the 800-MW natural gas Shepard Energy Centre, added 105 megawatts (MW) to our fleet with the successful commissioning, on time and under budget, of the Port Dover and Nanticoke wind project and completed the sale of our three New England, natural-gas-fueled power generation facilities to primarily fund our joint investment in the Shepard Energy Centre.
- We continued to demonstrate operational excellence with high plant availability averaging 93% in 2013.
- The net generation from our wind assets has increased by 425% from 2012 to 2013. Since November 2012, Capital Power has invested over $1 billion in three wind projects, increasing our wind nameplate capacity by approximately 1000%.
A culture of learning and development:
We work to create a strong learning and development culture.
- We Launched a Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) initiative to recognize the importance and benefit of strong diversity of thought, and
- Introduced the Student Work Experience Program (SWEP) - 23 students participated in 2013.
- We launched the "Zero means everything" campaign to reach our goal of zero lost-time injuries by 2015.
- We surpassed our company-wide safety target and almost met our stretch target with a Total Recordable Injury Frequency (TRIF) of 0.96 against a target of 1.04.
- In 2013, we provided support of $1.17 million to charitable organizations and programs in communities in which we do business (contributions include New England communities).
- The 2013 United Way campaign increased employee participation with employee contributions reaching more than $160,000 through personal pledges, which were matched dollar-for-dollar by the company, raising more than $345,000 in 2013. Nearly $1.5 million for United Way has been raised over the past four years.
- More than 12,000 volunteer hours were reported by 134 employees and their families in our EmPowering Communities program. In recognition of this dedication, we contributed $70,000 to non-profit organizations across North America.
Reportable environmental incidents:
Capital Power recorded a total of 18 environmental incidents in 2013, a reduction of 57% from the 42 incidents reported in 2012. Four of the 18 incidents had no environmental impact and the remaining incidents were minor in nature. Two Notice of Violations were issued to Roxboro in 2013. Neither of the incidents resulted in a fine or penalty. All incidents were reported to the regulators and closed with no further action required.
The complete report is available at: www.capitalpower.com/responsibility.
About Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX:CPX) is a growth-oriented North American power producer headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. The company develops, acquires, operates and optimizes power generation from a variety of energy sources. Capital Power owns more than 2,600 megawatts of power generation capacity at 14 facilities across North America and owns 371 megawatts of capacity through a power purchase agreement. An additional 490 megawatts of owned generation capacity is under construction in Alberta and Ontario.
To view the photo associated with this release, click the following link: http://www.marketwire.com/library/20140813-800cp_man.jpg
Photo Caption: Capital Power sponsored Military Appreciation Night at the Edmonton Eskimos' game and raised funds for the Edmonton Garrison Military Family Resource Centre. Over the past three years, this event has raised more than $190,000 for military personnel, veterans and their families. The 2014 event takes place on September 12 and all proceeds will go to the True Patriot Love Foundation.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
(780) 392-5305 or (866) 896-4636 (toll-free)