If you are one of the many Canadians struggling to find help at tax time, take heart.
With tax season just around the corner, the Certified General Accountants of Canada (CGA) have launched a website that will make it easier for you to find a professional accountant.
The accounting group, one of three large accounting bodies in Canada, says the is the first free, searchable, national directory of CGA professionals.
Individuals or businesses looking to hire an accountant to prepare their income taxes return can go to the site and search by location, industry or area of expertise. The map and driving directions of the accountant’s office can be sent directly to their phone.
There are 2,253 accounting firms to search from, since only CGA accounting firms that registered for this service are listed in the results.
In addition to the new website, the CGA issued these 10 tax tips:
1. Reduce taxable income with a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)
2. Build wealth with a Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA)
3. Contribute to a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)
4. Keep track of all tuition fee and education credits
5. Weigh the benefits of withdrawing from an RRSP to purchase a home
6. If you own a small business, capitalize on family by hiring them for legitimate work and write off their salaries
7. Consider income splitting
8. Maximize deductions of medical expenses
9. Take advantage of all eligible credits
10. Maximize charitable donation credits
For tips, stories, videos and live chats ahead of this year's RRSP contribution deadline, check the Globe Investor for daily updates.