Check out these five tips:
- Register a professional e-mail address for responding to job postings. Would you want to hire firstname.lastname@example.org?
- "Hobbies and interests" should only be listed as filler if you don't have enough volunteer or work experience to fill a two-page (maximum) résumé.
- Send a thank-you e-mail to an employer two days after an interview. It will not only make you stand out, even if you don't get that job, an employer might be more willing to pass your name along or consider you for another position.
- If you drop in to a place you'd like to work, ask to speak to the manager and pitch yourself directly to him or her rather than simply leaving a résumé with a receptionist (who may not pass it along at all).
- Clean up your Facebook page or remove it from public search results. It's now standard practice for employers to do social media searches of candidates.