Some of the steps in an intervention:
- Meet with everyone who wants to be involved in the intervention, except the person with the problem. Discover the collective concerns.
- Seek the assistance of a therapist with experience in interventions and have a group meeting prior to the eventintervention.
- Practise the intervention under supervision, to train participants to react effectively and to stay calm.
- Prepare a list of damage done by the subject, goals of the intervention, and ultimatums the group is willing to make.
- Perform the intervention in a private setting, with all members of the group present. One aim is to start treatment immediately, not to give food for thought.
- Remember to consult with specialists before even trying to perform an intervention. Every situation is different.