Drake is not the least bit happy with Rolling Stone bumping him off the cover in favour of the recently deceased actor Philip Seymour Hoffman.
The Toronto-born rapper took to Twitter on Thursday to inform his 14-million followers that his new interview in the venerable music magazine included statements about fellow rapper Kanye West that he never made.
Drake’s tweet: “I never commented on Yeezus for my interview portion of Rolling Stone. They also took my cover from me last minute and ran the issue.”
The 27-year-old rapper got even more specific about losing the cover to Hoffman in a subsequent tweet that said, “I’m disgusted with that. RIP to Philip Seymour Hoffman. But the press is evil.”
Earlier this week, Drake made headlines for comments made in the same Rolling Stone interview in which he directs rage toward the rapper Macklemore for what he believed was a “cheap” apology directed at Kendrick Lamar.
After Macklemore won Best New Rap Artist at the Grammys on Jan. 26, he was insistent on telling the music world that there were other rap artists that should have received the honour.
In a much-publicized post-Grammys text sent to fellow nominee Lamar, Macklemore said, “You got robbed. I wanted you to win.”
In the new Rolling Stone interview, Drake derided Macklemore’s apology by saying, “That … was wack …”
Drake added: “It felt cheap. It didn’t feel genuine.”
Although Drake isn’t featured on the cover, the new issue featuring the interview is slated to hit newsstands Feb. 14. And it could be some length of time before fans read his words in print again.
On Thursday, Drake also tweeted: “I’m done doing interviews for magazines. I just want to give my music to the people. That’s the only way my message gets across accurately.”