Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Entry archive:

'I apologize to anybody who took my initial comments out of context because in no way would I ever want to offend the Hoffman family or see myself as bigger than that moment,' Drake wrote on his blog (Owen Sweeney/AP)
'I apologize to anybody who took my initial comments out of context because in no way would I ever want to offend the Hoffman family or see myself as bigger than that moment,' Drake wrote on his blog (Owen Sweeney/AP)

Drake apologizes for earlier anger at losing Rolling Stone: ‘This is a day to learn and grow’ Add to ...

What a difference a day makes: Drake has issued an extensive apology one day after voicing his extreme displeasure at Rolling Stone replacing him on the cover of their latest issue with the recently deceased actor Philip Seymour Hoffman.

CTV News reports that the Toronto-born rapper went onto his personal blog on Friday to recant his earlier objections to the magazine’s decision after “an extremely emotional day.”

More Related to this Story

On Thursday, Drake went on Twitter to complain that Rolling Stone switched his prearranged cover for one displaying Hoffman, who died in his New York apartment on Feb. 2 from a suspected heroin overdose.

In a series of anger-fueled tweets, Drake said that, “They took the cover from me last minute and ran the issue” and “I’m disgusted with that. RIP to Philip Seymour Hoffman. But the press is evil.”

On Friday morning, Drake used his blog to backtrack on those comments and told fans he was in support of the move, calling Hoffman “one of the most incredible actors of our time and a man that deserves to be immortalized by this publication.”

Drake goes on to say that he was initially frustrated by the manner in which the cover change was executed and the fact that he was “not able to salvage [his] story or [his] photos and that was devastating.”

The 27-year-old singer also claims that he felt “violated” that the magazine ran with the issue without giving him any say in regard to whether or not the story inside would be featured. He adds that if he had been given that choice, he would have waited his turn for the Rolling Stone cover.

Nonetheless, the missive on Drake’s blog was steeped in serious contrition.

“I apologize to anybody who took my initial comments out of context because in no way would I ever want to offend the Hoffman family or see myself as bigger than that moment,” reads his mea culpa.

Just in case his fans were alarmed by his Twitter outburst, Drake assures them, “I am still the same person. Today I was forced out of character and felt the need to react swiftly. These days are the worst ones.”

And can a Toronto kid who started from the bottom learn from the experience? Of course he can.

“So here I am having that moment,” Drake said. “I once again apologize to everybody who took my cover comments the wrong way. I respect Rolling Stone for being willing to give a kid from Toronto a shot at the cover. I guess this is a day to learn and grow.”

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular