Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Entry archive:

Director Steven Spielberg has collected an estimated $40-million from the film Star Wars. (Mark J. Terrill/AP)
Director Steven Spielberg has collected an estimated $40-million from the film Star Wars. (Mark J. Terrill/AP)

Now Trending: How Steven Spielberg earned $40-million from a bet with George Lucas Add to ...

PLACE YOUR BETS

Now it can be told: Steven Spielberg once made a bet with fellow director George Lucas that netted him millions of dollars. As revealed in an upcoming interview with Spielberg to air on Turner Classics Movies. Lucas visited the set of Close Encounters of the Third Kind in 1976 shortly after he finished filming his fantasy sci-fi epic Star Wars. Lucas was convinced Close Encounters would be the bigger box-office hit, so he proposed a wager to Spielberg. “He said, ‘All right, I’ll tell you what. I’ll trade some points with you. I’ll give you 2.5 per cent of Star Wars if you give me 2.5 per cent of Close Encounters,’” recalled Spielberg. Although Close Encounters earned more than $300-million at the box office, Star Wars went on to earn more than $1.48-billion – which means Spielberg has collected an estimated $40-million from the wager.

More Related to this Story

Source: Slate

FRENCH KISS

Have you seen the new Esquire photo shoot featuring Jessica Pare? Best known for her recurring role on AMC’s Mad Men, the French-Canadian actress strips down to her birthday suit for a photo layout in the magazine’s latest issue. In the accompanying profile, Pare, 33, talks frankly about the famous gap between her front teeth and reveals that she was on the verge of quitting acting when she was invited to audition for Mad Men. “I was ready to move back to my parents’ place, ready to get a job at my friends bar back home and just pack it in,” Pare says. “I had nothing left to lose.”

Source: Just Jared

HAIR CARE

Keeping his hair long and unwashed is part of the job for Game of Thrones star Kit Harington. The brawny British actor, who plays Jon Snow on Thrones, admits that it’s actually in his HBO contract to keep his flowing locks at a certain length. “It does keep you restricted,” he told GQ recently. “I can’t go off and play a U.S. marine.” Harington also confirmed previous reports that he never washes his hair while GOT is filming. “I like it to look greasy and medieval, so it gets very tangled … By the end, it’s pretty horrible.”

Source: Zap2it

MIX TAPE

Expect Lollapalooza to have a retro vibe this summer. The music festival has released the talent lineup for the annual three-day event. The headline acts will include Eminem, Kings of Leon, Skillrex, Calvin Harris, Arctic Monkeys and the teen pop sensation Lorde. Most notably, the festival will see a performance by the seminal hip-hip group Outkast, which hasn’t performed live in more than a decade. Lollapalooza will take place in Chicago’s Grant Park between August 1 to 3.

Source: Mashable

TAKE THREE

Madonna hopes her third time as a director will be the charm. The music icon has signed up to direct the film version of Rebecca Walker’s breakout novel Ade: A Love Story. The plot follows a young college student who plans to settled down with a man named Ade in Kenya until their lives are torn apart by turmoil. The movie will reportedly be produced by veteran producer Bruce Cohen, whose resume includes the movie hits Milk and Silver Linings Playbook. Madonna previously directed the 2008 film Filth and Wisdom and the 2011 feature W.E.

Source: CNN

BAD ACTOR

Actor Columbus Short has been arrested in Los Angeles on assault charges. The Scandal star was arrested on Wednesday and charged with committing a battery that resulted in serious bodily harm. According to the police report, Short got into an argument with a man at a West Los Angeles restaurant and struck him, knocking him unconscious. Short was released late Wednesday on $50,000 bail. The arrest follows the actor’s other recent brushes with the law: On Feb.14, he was charged with misdemeanour spousal battery and on March 5, Short was ordered by a judge to keep his distance from his wife, Tuere Short.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories