Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Entry archive:

This May 5, 2014 file photo shows Solange Knowles, sister of Beyonce Knowles, at The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute benefit gala celebrating "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in New York. (Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)
This May 5, 2014 file photo shows Solange Knowles, sister of Beyonce Knowles, at The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute benefit gala celebrating "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in New York. (Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

Now Trending: New details emerge about elevator fight between Jay Z and Solange Add to ...

Did the elevator fight between Jay Z and Solange Knowles begin because he wanted to go to a party hosted by Rihanna – without his wife Beyoncé?

The New York Daily News is claiming that the now-viral brawl that saw Beyonce’s younger sister attack the rapper had everything to do with Jay Z’s desire to attend an afterparty without his better half.

More Related to this Story

As anybody with Internet access is now aware, a man looking very much like Jay Z was attacked in an elevator last week by a woman greatly resembling Solange Knowles shortly after the Met Gala in New York.

TMZ was the first media outlet to obtain the surveillance video, which surfaced on their website Monday.

According to the Daily News report, there was already tension in the air when Jay Z announced, while walking to the Standard Hotel elevator, that he was going to hit the Rihanna soirée rather than head home with Beyoncé.

An unnamed source in the story claims a tipsy Solange took exception and allegedly said to her brother-in-law, “Why can’t you go home?”

Solange, 27, then allegedly turned to her big sister and asked, “Why does your husband need to go to the club right now?”

Apparently, Jay Z was not pleased with Solange’s intervention and allegedly snapped at her, “You’re one to talk.”

And that’s what sent Solange into a rage, attacking Jay Z with a flurry of punches and kicks that were captured forever for posterity.

The same Daily News source claims that the bad vibrations between Solange and Jay Z actually began earlier, after a group of her friends showed up uninvited to the Standard Hotel looking to partake of the party.

Said the source: “Two of her friends, who were not dressed for the Met Ball, showed up at the Standard and caused a scene. They wouldn’t leave and kept name-dropping Jay Z. They were pretending they were guests of his and not hers.”

The result: “Management went to Julius [Beyonce’s personal bodyguard] and said there’s a problem.”

When Jay Z was informed of the matter, he allegedly snapped at Solange, “Don’t use my name.”

Next came the fight of the century, after which Jay Z decided he didn’t want to go to the Rihanna bash after all.

In other news, Us Weekly talked to yet another unidentified source, who said, “Solange has flipped her lid like that before. She is genuinely a sweet and nice person, but she also keeps s–t real. She can take a small thing and it triggers her.”

Added the Us Weekly source: “This is not the first time this has happened. That’s why Bey and Jay were so calm. They are used to this from Solange.”

Whatever the cause of their tiff, Jay Z and Solange appear to have patched things up in recent.

On Tuesday, the pair were spotted in New York at the high-end jewelry store Mr. Flawless, where they reportedly spent 20 minutes looking at women’s baubles.

Apparently, neither Jay Z or Solange made any purchases, but all seemed peaceable when they exited the store and hopped in a Mercedes limo together.

Or was this just the quiet before the real storm?

MAKING MAGIC

Harry Potter fans had best sit down for the big news: Warner Bros. has announced that the movie version of J.K. Rowling’s first chapter in the Potter spinoff trilogy Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will land in theatres on Nov. 18, 2016. Rowling originally penned the book – an adaptation of a Hogwarts textbook of the same name – in 2001 between the publication of the fourth and fifth Potter tomes. So far, Warner Bros. has not signed a producer, director or any cast for the new movie.

Source: Variety

GOING SOLO

Leaving the boy-band 'N Sync was not an easy decision for Justin Timberlake. During his interview on the OWN series Oprah’s Master Class, the 33-year-old singer said that he was genuinely upset when he decided to cut ties with his bandmates and launch a solo career in 2001. “It’s one of the best-worst things that I have ever done because it was bittersweet,” Timberlake told host Oprah Winfrey in the sit-down. At the time of his departure, 'N Sync had already sold more than 50-million albums worldwide and toured constantly. Recalled Timberlake: “It was happening all around me: ‘What are you doing? Why wouldn’t you ride this out? You’re the biggest group in the world. Why would you walk away from this?’ ”

Source: New York Daily News

SHE ACTS!

It had to happen eventually: Gwyneth Paltrow has accepted another acting role. The Shakespeare in Love star will star opposite Oscar nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor in the upcoming crime drama The Secret in Their Eyes, which is scheduled to start shooting in Boston this fall. The story will star Ejiofor as a retired British MI-5 agent who returns to Boston to assist the FBI on a high-profile unsolved murder, with Paltrow playing an enigmatic woman whose knowledge of the crime factors strongly into the investigation.

Source: Deadline

SPECIAL LADY

Now it can be told: Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s mystery girlfriend has a name and she’s plenty smart, to boot. The 33-year-old actor was seen in Los Angeles last weekend with Tasha McCauley, co-founder and CEO of a robotics company called Fellow Robots, which is based at NASA Research Park in Silicon Valley. Last fall, Gordon-Levitt told radio host Howard Stern that he was close to someone special but declined to divulge her identity. “I have a girlfriend, but I tend not to really like to talk about it in public,” said the actor.

Source: People

CABLE KING

TBS is in the Conan O’Brien business for the long haul. The U.S. cable outlet has announced they have reached a deal with the comedian to host the late-night talker Conan until mid-2018. The show debuted on TBS in November, 2010, and airs weeknights at 11 p.m. ET. Before joining TBS, O’Brien helmed the NBC post-midnight talk show Late Night, which he followed with an ill-fated three-month stint hosting The Tonight Show.

Source: Washington Post

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories