Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Entry archive:

Vanna White, co-host of "Wheel of Fortune", arrives with host Pat Sajak at Radio City Music Hall to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the game show in New York, Thursday Sept. 27, 2007 (Peter Kramer/AP)
Vanna White, co-host of "Wheel of Fortune", arrives with host Pat Sajak at Radio City Music Hall to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the game show in New York, Thursday Sept. 27, 2007 (Peter Kramer/AP)

Now Trending: Pat Sajak ‘stunned’ by Wheel of Fortune contestant’s remarkable first guess Add to ...

GOOD GUESS

Even host Pat Sajak was astounded by a Wheel of Fortune contestant’s luck on the show this week. In a clip already gone viral, a player named Emil De Leon was presented with a puzzle under the category of “thing” on Wednesday’s episode. In accordance with the game show’s rules, the letters R, S, T, L, N and E were given to him; Emil selected the letters H, M, D and O to throw into the mix. “This looks tough to me,” said Sajak, the show’s host since 1983. “You’re a very good puzzle solver, but I don’t know. You have 10 seconds. Keep talking, maybe the right thing will pop out. Good luck.” And then Emil blurted out the correct answer: New Baby Buggy, which earned him a cool $45,000. Said Sajak: “I’m rather stunned!” Soon after, Sajak went on Twitter to post the comment, “Tonight’s ‘Wheel of Fortune’ features most amazing solve in my 30+ years on the show. No kidding.”

More Related to this Story

Source: Gawker

MEA CULPA

John Travolta publicly apologized for flubbing Idina Menzel’s name at the Oscars, but his real apology came with flowers. In Travolta’s introduction of Menzel at the Academy Awards earlier this month, he mistakenly called her “Adele Dazeem.” Two days later, Travolta released a public statement apologizing for the mistake, but this week it was revealed that he also sent a separate apology along with a floral arrangement. “He sent her a big, gorgeous bouquet of flowers,” an unnamed source told E! News. “It was huge. It was his apology to her. It was clear he felt very bad about it. And by the size of the arrangement, it was an obvious ‘forgive me, please’ gesture.”

Source: Zap2it

FROM THE VAULTS

The Man in Black just keeps coming back. Fans of the late country singer Johnny Cash will be watching for a new album of songs that his record label refused to release back in the early 1980s. Set for release next week, Out Among The Stars features duets with Cash’s late wife, June Carter Cash, and fellow country legend Waylon Jennings. The songs were never released by Cash’s former label Columbia, which is now owned by Sony, and were unearthed by his son, John Carter Cash, in 2012. “[These songs] exhibited my father and showed his creativity in a period of his life when not as many people knew about this music,” said the younger Cash in a recent interview.

Source: Reuters

NO THANKS

There will be a Ghostbusters 3, but Ivan Reitman won’t be directing it. The Czech-Canadian director, who lensed the first two Ghostbusters films, has recused himself from directing the third entry in the franchise, which is set to begin shooting in early 2015 in New York. Reitman, 67, told Deadline that his decision was largely due to the recent death of Harold Ramis, who co-wrote and starred in the previous Ghostbusters movies. “A lot of things happened in the last few months,” said Reitman, “the most significant of which was the passing of Harold, who was a very good friend who was extraordinarily influential in my career. We did five movies together, including both Ghostbusters.”

Source: CNN

LAST PLANS

Was Mick Jagger making plans to settle down with L’Wren Scott in the days before her death? The Rolling Stone frontman was reportedly ready to move in with the fashion designer before she took her own life earlier this week. Scott’s brother-in-law claims the couple had recently decided to put down roots in the Big Apple. “Mick had recently decided to end his hotel lifestyle and I understand they had just bought a $10-million home in New York,” said Rob Shane, the husband of Scott’s sister Jan, in an interview with the Daily News. There are also reports that Jagger, whose personal wealth is estimated to be more than $300-million, had bailed out Scott’s foundering fashion business “on numerous occasions.”

Source: New York Daily News

HOLY LETDOWN

Sorry, Russell Crowe: No Pope for you. According to Variety, a tentatively scheduled sitdown between the Oscar-winning actor and the pontiff has been cancelled, despite Crowe’s best efforts to make the meeting happen. Crowe, who plays the title role in the upcoming biblical epic Noah, was in Italy this week with the movie’s director, Darren Aronofsky, to promote the film and attend a scheduled meeting with the Pope. The Vatican reportedly cancelled those plans at the last minute for fear that the meeting would cause a “spectacle.” In recent days, Crowe has sent five tweets to @Pontifex, the Twitter account representing Pope Francis, beseeching the holy leader to screen the movie.

Source: Time

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

 

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories