For a second year, Noma takes the title of the best restaurant in the world. The famed Copenhagen restaurant headed by chef René Redzepi held onto its top position on the prestigious S. Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants list, presented on Monday.
"It's the entire package, from its ingredient ingenuity to flawless execution, that makes it a beacon of excellence and which leads to an emotive, intense, liberating way of eating, unlike any other," the S. Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants list said on its web site. "Many have copied chef René Redzepi's approach, most have failed."
The annual list is chosen by an academy of more than 830 international restaurant industry leaders based on their best dining experiences over the past 18 months. Notably absent? Any Canadians. Rouge and Langdon Hall, which ranked No. 60 and No. 77 respectively last year, were not included on this year's extended list of The World's 100 Best Restaurants.
"We did it again, together," Mr. Redzepi told his crew on stage at the awards ceremony at The Guildhall in London, addressing an audience of the world's most recognized chefs. "We hope you're going to do it one more year again."
Among the crowd were culinary heavyweights David Chang, Eric Ripert, Fergus Henderson, Daniel Boulud, Thomas Keller, and Grant Achatz.
Spain's El Celler de Can Roca jumped from No. 4, replacing the now-closed El Bulli at No. 2. Mugaritz, also of Spain, rose two spots to No. 3, edging out British chef Heston Blumenthal's The Fat Duck.
Les Créations de Narisawa of Japan, by chef-owner Yoshihiro Narisawa, was dubbed the best Asian restaurant for the third year in a row, while Tokyo's Nihonryori RyuGin was this year's highest climber, jumping to No. 20 from 48.
Mr. Achatz's Alinea of Chicago rose one spot to No. 6, taking home the award for The Best Restaurant in North America for a second year. Brazilian chef Alex Atala's D.O.M. was named The Best Restaurant in South America for the third year in a row, rising to No. 7 from 18 last year.
Among the new notable entrants on the list were Britain's The Ledbury, Astrid Y Gaston of Peru, Varvary of Russia and Pujol of Mexico.
The academy also presented its "One to Watch" award to Stockholm's Frantzen/Lindeberg for the restaurant that shows the most promise of joining the top 50 list next year.
1. Noma, Denmark www.noma.dk
2. El Celler de Can Roca, Spain (up from 4) www.cellercanroca.com
3. Mugaritz, Spain (up from 5) www.mugaritz.com
4. Osteria Francescana, Italy (up from 6) www.osteriafrancescana.it
5. The Fat Duck, UK (down from 3) www.thefatduck.co.uk
6. Alinea, U.S. (up from 7) www.alinea-restaurant.com
7. D.O.M., Brazil (up from 18) www.domrestaurante.com.br
8. Arzak, Spain (up from 9) www.arzak.es
9. Le Chateaubriand, France (up from 11)
10. Per Se, U.S. (unchanged) www.perseny.com
11. Daniel, U.S. (down from 8)
13. L'Astrance, France (up from 16)
14. L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, France www.joel-robuchon.net
15. Hof van Cleve, Belgium (up from 17) www.hofvancleve.com
16. Pierre Gagnaire, France (down from 13) www.pierre-gagnaire.com
17. Oud Sluis, Netherlands (up from 19)
19. L'Arpege, France www.alain-passard.com
20. Nihonryori RyuGin, Japan (highest climber, up from 48) www.nihonryori-ryugin.com
21. Vendome, Germany (up from 22) www.schlossbensberg.com
22. Steirereck, Austria (up from 21) steirereck.at/wien/restaurant/pr
23. Schloss Schauenstein, Switzerland (up from 30) www.schauenstein.ch
24. Eleven Madison Park, U.S. (2nd highest climber on this year's list, up from 50) www.elevenmadisonpark.com
25. Aqua, Germany (up from 34) www.restaurant-aqua.com
26. Quay, Australia (up from 27) www.quay.com.au
27. Iggy's, Singapore (up from 28) www.iggys.com.sg
28. Combal Zero, Italy (up from 35) combal.org
29. Martin Berasategui, Spain (up from 33) www.martinberasategui.com
30. Bras, France www.bras.fr
31. Biko, Mexico (up from 46) www.biko.com.mx
32. Le Calandre, Italy (down from 20) www.calandre.com
33. Cracco, Italy www.ristorantecracco.it
34. The Ledbury, UK (highest new entry) www.theledbury.com
35. Chez Dominique, Finland (down from 23) chezdominique.fi
36. La Quartier Francais, South Africa (down from 31) www.lequartier.co.za
37. Amber, China (new entry) www.amberhongkong.com
38. Dal Pescatore, Italy (down from 36) www.dalpescatore.com
39. Il Canto, Italy (up from 40) www.certosadimaggiano.com
40. Momofuku Ssam bar, U.S. (down from 26) www.momofuku.com
41. St. John, UK, (up from 43) www.stjohnrestaurant.com
42. Astrid Y Gaston, Peru (new entry) www.astridygaston.com
43. Hibiscus, UK (up from 49) www.hibiscusrestaurant.co.uk
44. Maison Troisgros, France (unchanged) www.troisgros.fr
45. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athenee, France (down from 41) www.plaza-athenee-paris.com
46. Da Librije, Netherlands (down from 37) www.librije.com
47. Restaurant de l'Hotel de Ville (down from 14) www.philippe-rochat.ch
48. Varvary, Russia (new entry) anatolykomm.ru
49. Pujol, Mexico (new entry) www.pujol.com.mx
50. Asador Etxebarri, Spain www.asadoretxebarri.com