Still with us? Good! It’s Week 3 of Boot Camp and we’re adding intervals and new exercises for you to tackle. For how-to videos, plus tips on getting started, choosing weights and calculating your heart rate, check out tgam.ca/bootcamp2013
Aim for three cardio segments at 60 to 85 per cent of your max heart rate plus one interval session. Any cardio workout will do. Good options include walking, jogging, elliptical or swimming.
- Beginner: Do three 20- to 30-minute workouts. Make one of them intervals: After a 10-minute warm-up, alternate one minute of hard work followed by four minutes of moderate work for 15 minutes; finish with a five-minute cool-down.
- Advanced: Do three 30- to 45-minute workouts. Make one of them intervals: After a 10-minute warm-up, alternate two minutes of hard work followed by three minutes of moderate work for 15 to 30 minutes; finish with a five-minute cool-down.
Up the intensity by doing three weight workouts this week. If you choose to do weights on a different day than your cardio, make sure you start with a five- to 10-minute cardio warm-up. Do each exercise in the circuit back-to-back without rest. At the end of each circuit, rest for one minute and then repeat.
Beginner: Do each circuit two times through. Complete the lower number of recommended reps and shorter duration of recommended times.
Advanced: Do each circuit three times through. Complete a higher number of recommended reps and longer duration of recommended times.
- 1. Lunge and resistance band rows: 12 reps each side
- 2. Swiss ball push-ups: 12 to 15 reps
- 3. Swiss-ball knee-tucks: 6 to 12 reps
- 1. Wood chop: 10 reps each side
- 2. Squat and bicep curls: 12 to 15 reps
- 3. Hip lift and French press: 12 to 15 reps
- 1. Side plank: 20 to 60 seconds
- 2. V hold and push-outs: 10 reps each side
- 3. Bird dog: 12 reps each side
Trainer’s Tip: If you want to really make the workout fun, add one minute of cardio to the end of each circuit. Beginners can try marching on the spot. Advanced exercisers can try jumping jacks and skipping rope.