People living with HIV
- There are an estimated 35 million people living with HIV-AIDS.
- An estimated 71,300 Canadians were living with HIV-AIDS.
- In 2013, 1.5 million people died from AIDS-related causes worldwide, compared with 2.4 million in 2005, a 35-per-cent decrease.
- An estimated 24,300 Canadians have died of AIDS since the epidemic began.
New HIV infections
- Worldwide, 2.1 million people became newly infected with HIV in 2013, down from 3.4 million in 2001, a 38-per-cent decrease.
- Approximately 3,175 people became infected with HIV in Canada last year.
- 38 per cent of adults living with HIV and 24 per cent of children living with HIV are receiving the life-extending medicines.
- In 2013, approximately $19.1-billion was spent on the AIDS response.
- UNAIDS estimates that $24-billion will be needed in 2015.
- Canada spends about $86-million a year domestically on HIV-AIDS.
Follow us on Twitter: