Have you made a resolution to eat better and lose weight? Follow our month-long program of daily nutrition tips, created by dietitian Leslie Beck to change your lifestyle for January - and beyond. And to get your fitness on track, try our personal trainer-designed .
DAY 12: Eat one vegetarian meal
There’s no doubt that a plant-based diet helps guard against myriad health problems, including high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, obesity and certain cancers.
Foods such as beans, lentils, tofu, soy products and tempeh are loaded with plant protein, vitamins, minerals and many different phytochemicals. Plus, they’re incredibly low in artery-clogging saturated fat and many are excellent sources of fibre.
So your goal for today is to replace meat, poultry or fish with a vegetarian protein at one meal. Here are a few ideas:
- Add chickpeas to a green or Greek salad.
- Replace meat or chicken with cubes of firm tofu in a stir-fry.
- Make bean tacos. Replace ground beef or turkey with black beans or pinto beans.
- Substitute white kidney beans or soy Ground Round for ground meat in a tomato-based pasta sauce.
- Instead of a beef burger, try a veggie burger made from soy.
- Make a batch of vegetarian chilli to enjoy for lunches during the week.
Missed earlier days? It's easy to get caught up.
DAY 11: Pass on the salt
DAY 9: Eat a leafy green vegetable
DAY 8: Drink a cup of green tea
DAY 7: Snack on fruit
DAY 6: Use a smaller plate
DAY 5: Eat more veggies
DAY 4: Practise eating slowly
DAY 3: Boost fibre at breakfast
Want more information related to today's tip? Read on: